Old 05-03-2011, 05:29 AM
"giovanni_re"

Default In Debian GNU(Linux), you own phone. - Poll - What Smartphone do you use?

On Tue, 3 May 2011 00:05:03 -0400, "shawn wilson" <ag4ve.us@gmail.com>
said:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:35 PM, giovanni_re <john_re@fastmail.us> wrote:
> > So, today's poll is:
> >
> > What Smartphone do you use?
> >
> > Please reply to this message with:
> >
> > Manufacturer name * Model name, OS name, Cell Carrier name, Country you
> > live in.
> >

> while phones have vulnerabilities (ie, android < 2.0 and many versions
> of ios) i don't think this is very wise information to give out.
>
> that is, debian users aren't the only ones who read these emails. i
> have noticed 10x (or more) spam sense i've started reading mailing
> lists. and, these lists are archived (for better or for worse). i try
> to minimize how much personally identifiable information i provide on
> these lists.

> asking about my phone is almost like asking how the lock
> on my front door is pinned - most people won't know how to abuse the
> information, but those who do would have an easy way in.

I'm guessing you're probably not running Debian GNU(Linux) on your
phone.

If you were, it would be _you_ who is in control of your phone.

That's why I'm working to get Smartphone Debian (SD) going.

Giovanni Re:
"In Debian GNU(Linux), you own phone.
In Non-Freedom software world, phone own you."

== Join in the Global monthly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW & Culture
Smartphone Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/Smartphone

Old 05-03-2011, 05:39 AM
Chris Brennan

I'm guessing you're probably not running Debian GNU(Linux) on your

phone. *

If you were, it would be _you_ who is in control of your phone. *

That's why I'm working to get Smartphone Debian (SD) going. *
I'm guessing you like to pick fights? Your choice of words is questionable and potentially*inflammatory. You might want to choose your words more carefully in the future. Your threads spark debate but when they are*borderline*belligerent, it doesn't serve the*community at large, makes people want to be non-participant.**

I'm with Mr. Wilson on this, what my phone runs is no ones business but who I tell.*Blatting my carrier, brand, make and model for anyone who wants to get their google-fu on, can do so, and if they dig a little harder, they could potentially*use that information and put it to bad use. If someone doesn't want to tell (and they wish to make it known that they don't want to tell), then that is their business, at the very least respect it.

/rantoff