Old 05-03-2011, 04:05 AM
shawn wilson

Default Poll - What Smartphone do you use?

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:35 PM, giovanni_re <john_re@fastmail.us> wrote:
> Isn't it great to get to know your Debian community members, & things
> about them, like what kind of stuff they use? *Maybe that would be good
> stuff for _you_ to get at some point. *
>

> =
> So, today's poll is:
>
> What Smartphone do you use?
>
> Please reply to this message with:
>
> Manufacturer name * Model name, OS name, Cell Carrier name, Country you
> live in.

while phones have vulnerabilities (ie, android < 2.0 and many versions
of ios) i don't think this is very wise information to give out.

that is, debian users aren't the only ones who read these emails. i
have noticed 10x (or more) spam sense i've started reading mailing
lists. and, these lists are archived (for better or for worse). i try
to minimize how much personally identifiable information i provide on
these lists. asking about my phone is almost like asking how the lock
on my front door is pinned - most people won't know how to abuse the
information, but those who do would have an easy way in.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:27 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <1304393739.10721.1447549857@webmail.messagingengi ne.com>, giovanni_re
wrote:
>What Smartphone do you use?

HTC, Hero, Android + HTC Sense, Sprint, USA
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 05-03-2011, 05:37 AM
Heddle Weaver

On 3 May 2011 14:05, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:35 PM, giovanni_re <john_re@fastmail.us> wrote:

> Isn't it great to get to know your Debian community members, & things

> about them, like what kind of stuff they use? Â*Maybe that would be good

> stuff for _you_ to get at some point. Â*

> =

> So, today's poll is:

> What Smartphone do you use?

> Please reply to this message with:

> Manufacturer name Â* Model name, OS name, Cell Carrier name, Country you

> live in.

while phones have vulnerabilities (ie, android < 2.0 and many versions

of ios) i don't think this is very wise information to give out.

that is, debian users aren't the only ones who read these emails. i

have noticed 10x (or more) spam sense i've started reading mailing

lists. and, these lists are archived (for better or for worse). i try

to minimize how much personally identifiable information i provide on

these lists. asking about my phone is almost like asking how the lock

on my front door is pinned - most people won't know how to abuse the

information, but those who do would have an easy way in.

Yes.
A good way to assess a market, gather email addresses and employ the same or on-sell them.
I find it difficult to assess what positive result could come from overtly gathering and collating information like this on a list that simply doesn't relate to that subject.

Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Erwan David

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 05:35:39AM CEST, giovanni_re <john_re@fastmail.us> said:
> Isn't it great to get to know your Debian community members, & things
> about them, like what kind of stuff they use? Maybe that would be good
> stuff for _you_ to get at some point.
>

> =
> So, today's poll is:
>
> What Smartphone do you use?

None : they are far too expensive for the use I would have of one.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 03 May 2011 08:04:03 +0200, Erwan David wrote:

> On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 05:35:39AM CEST, giovanni_re
> <john_re@fastmail.us> said:

(...)

>> =
>> So, today's poll is:
>>
>> What Smartphone do you use?
>
> None : they are far too expensive for the use I would have of one.

+1

And IMO, too useless/time consuming also. I want a phone not a game
console :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Carl Fink

BlackBerry Bold 9700. I once wrote an article on using BlackBerries with
Linux for Linux Journal.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 20:35, giovanni_re <john_re@fastmail.us> wrote:
> Isn't it great to get to know your Debian community members, & things
> about them, like what kind of stuff they use? *Maybe that would be good
> stuff for _you_ to get at some point. *
>

> =
> So, today's poll is:
>
> What Smartphone do you use?
>
> Please reply to this message with:
>
> Manufacturer name * Model name, OS name, Cell Carrier name, Country you
> live in.

N900, Maemo5/OS2008, TMo, USA

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 05-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Nuno Magalhães

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 05:05, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:
> i don't think this is very wise information to give out.

+1

And i use a dumbphone, Nokia 2600 i think, good to make calls and send
text messages.

If i ever get a smartphone, it'll be an openmoko (pref the GTA02A7++
or any of the later if they ever come out and cheap).

Cheers,
Nuno

--
Mars 2 Stay!