Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Bob McConnell

Default Re (2): Need help setting up a home LAN

From: Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 12:55:37 -0600

It is crazy to write such misleading error messages. I did, in fact,
have JavaScript disabled ...

Ouch! A friend returned a new router to the vendor after
encountering such a bad proprietary interface.

An elegant solution is to assemble a Linux router based
on a salvaged desktop or laptop machine.

I always found setting up an OpenBSD router much easier IMHO and
documentation is excellent.

[snip]

Regards, ... Peter E.

Best regards
Eike

For a basic firewall, m0n0wall is quick and about as easy as they come.
Runs on a variety of hardware, including an ordinary PC with two NICs.
It's FreeBSD based.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP