Old 02-10-2008, 06:18 PM

Default stale lockfile on fetchmail.

Folk,

Mostly fetchmail works with no problem. Occasionally
this happens.

peter@joule:~$ fetchmail
fetchmail: removing stale lockfile
peter@joule:~$ fetchmail
fetchmail: background fetchmail at 4671 awakened.

Can anyone explain why a stale lockfile should
come to exist?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Desktops.OpenDoc http://carnot.yi.org/

Old 02-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 12:18:40PM -0700, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Folk,
>
> Mostly fetchmail works with no problem. Occasionally
> this happens.
>
> peter@joule:~$ fetchmail
> fetchmail: removing stale lockfile
> peter@joule:~$ fetchmail
> fetchmail: background fetchmail at 4671 awakened.
>
> Can anyone explain why a stale lockfile should
> come to exist?

probably because fetchmail died (or got kill -9) ungracefully and left
it's lockfile lying aroudn as a result. Then the first time you run
it, it sees the old lockfile and removes it then sends itself tot he
background. The second run just prods the background to wake up.