Old 05-01-2011, 05:35 PM
John Magolske

Default Cannot output to external monitor

I'm having trouble getting anything to output from my X40 ThinkPad to
an external VGA monitor. Under X, `xrandr -q` outputs the following
regardless of whether or not the external monitor is plugged in:

% xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 800 x 600, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 0.0*
800x600 61.0

Pressing Fn+F7 and typing `xrandr --output VGA --auto` has no
effect...the external monitor remains totally blank.

The only way I can get anything to display externally is to plug the
external monitor in, then boot up. In this case the laptop screen
remains blank and the external monitor displays everything -- and
fuzzily, as it's outputting 1024x768 to a 1280x1024 display. And
no combination of alternating Fn+F7 key-presses and variations of
xrandr commands can get the laptop screen to not be blank. I had
to switch "Boot Display Device" in the BIOS from "ThinkPad LCD" to
"Analog (VGA)" or "Both" for this to work. I would've thought "Both"
would send output to both the external and internal displays -- and
I thought I had some recollection of that happening -- but my trials
this morning show the Laptop screen remaining blank. In any case,
having to re-boot the machine with the external monitor plugged in
doesn't seem like a reasonable solution.

Thanks for any help,

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact

Old 05-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 01 May 2011 10:35:17 -0700, John Magolske wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting anything to output from my X40 ThinkPad to an
> external VGA monitor. Under X, `xrandr -q` outputs the following
> regardless of whether or not the external monitor is plugged in:
>
> % xrandr -q
> Screen 0: minimum 800 x 600, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
> default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> 1024x768 0.0*
> 800x600 61.0
>
> Pressing Fn+F7 and typing `xrandr --output VGA --auto` has no
> effect...the external monitor remains totally blank.

(...)

I've seen some reports related to problems with the VGA output in X40
ThinkPad notebooks:

xserver-xorg-video-intel: corruption on external VGA display

[i855gm] VGA out flickering after upgrade to lucid (regression)

After reading the bugs, it is still no clear (at least for me) if the
problem can be bypassed somehow (by installing an updated video driver/
xorg version/kernel) or still open/unsolved.

Sorry to be so fuzzy, maybe someone here can provide updated/accurate
data on the matter :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-03-2011, 06:01 AM
John Magolske

Hi,

* Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> [110502 10:14]:
> On Sun, 01 May 2011 10:35:17 -0700, John Magolske wrote:
> > I'm having trouble getting anything to output from my X40 ThinkPad to
> > an external VGA monitor. Under X, `xrandr -q` outputs the following
> > regardless of whether or not the external monitor is plugged in:
> >
> > % xrandr -q
> > Screen 0: minimum 800 x 600, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
> > default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> > 1024x768 0.0*
> > 800x600 61.0
> >
> > Pressing Fn+F7 and typing `xrandr --output VGA --auto` has no
> > effect...the external monitor remains totally blank.
>
> (...)
>
> I've seen some reports related to problems with the VGA output in X40
> ThinkPad notebooks:
>
> xserver-xorg-video-intel: corruption on external VGA display
>
> [i855gm] VGA out flickering after upgrade to lucid (regression)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/589140
>
> After reading the bugs, it is still no clear (at least for me) if the
> problem can be bypassed somehow (by installing an updated video driver/
> xorg version/kernel) or still open/unsolved.

I updated xserver-xorg, xserver-xorg-core & xserver-xorg-video-intel
but the problem persisted until I updated the kernel from
linux-image-2.6.28-grml to linux-image-2.6.31-grml. Now the external
monitor is recognized no problem.

Thanks for the reply,

John

--