FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Kai Weber
 
Default Canonical place to configure power management

Hi,

I use powertop to enable power management for various devices on my laptop.
I wonder where I can store these configuration options permanently. I looked
into pm-utils and guess I can use this package but there seems to be no
documentation how one should use pm-utils.

Some examples of the options in question like displayed in powertop:

>> Bad Wireless Power Saving for interface wlan0
Bad Enable SATA link power management for /dev/sda
Bad NMI watchdog should be turned off
Bad VM writeback timeout
Bad Enable Audio codec power management
Bad Autosuspend for USB device BCM2045B (Broadcom Corp)

How do you enable these settings? Do you store them permanently?

kw


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110501133640.GB10221@dummy.home.lan">http://lists.debian.org/20110501133640.GB10221@dummy.home.lan
 
Old 05-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Canonical place to configure power management

On Sun, 01 May 2011 15:36:40 +0200, Kai Weber wrote:

> I use powertop to enable power management for various devices on my
> laptop. I wonder where I can store these configuration options
> permanently. I looked into pm-utils and guess I can use this package but
> there seems to be no documentation how one should use pm-utils.
>
> Some examples of the options in question like displayed in powertop:
>
>>> Bad Wireless Power Saving for interface wlan0
> Bad Enable SATA link power management for /dev/sda Bad
> NMI watchdog should be turned off Bad VM writeback
> timeout
> Bad Enable Audio codec power management Bad
> Autosuspend for USB device BCM2045B (Broadcom Corp)
>
> How do you enable these settings? Do you store them permanently?

I think powertop is just giving you some hints on what you can tweak to
save your battery. You can ignore them or apply them, that's up to you.

Additional info on their meaning:

http://www.lesswatts.org/tips/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.05.01.14.02.17@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.05.01.14.02.17@gmail.com
 
Old 05-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Kai Weber
 
Default Canonical place to configure power management

* Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:

> I think powertop is just giving you some hints on what you can tweak to
> save your battery. You can ignore them or apply them, that's up to you.

Thanks for the info but you missed my point.

I am aware of the meanings of powetops recommendations. I want to know if any
package in Debian provides an easy way to set settings like that. I thought
pm-utils allows that.

kw


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110501215339.GB19639@dummy.home.lan">http://lists.debian.org/20110501215339.GB19639@dummy.home.lan
 
Old 05-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Camaleón
 
Default Canonical place to configure power management

On Sun, 01 May 2011 23:53:40 +0200, Kai Weber wrote:

> * Camaleón:
>
>> I think powertop is just giving you some hints on what you can tweak to
>> save your battery. You can ignore them or apply them, that's up to you.
>
> Thanks for the info but you missed my point.
>
> I am aware of the meanings of powetops recommendations. I want to know
> if any package in Debian provides an easy way to set settings like that.
> I thought pm-utils allows that.

I thought there were some hints on how to set that options in the link I
provided and not necessarily involve the use of "pm-utils".

The question is, are you sure you want to set them at all? Sometimes
those quirks do not work very well and enabling them just makes things
worse ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.05.02.11.02.21@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.05.02.11.02.21@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org