Old 05-01-2011, 02:35 AM
Hendrik Boom

Default Why has emacs 23 become so ugly?

On Sun, 01 May 2011 02:21:25 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> I'm still running squeeze. For some reason, when I run emacs now, it
> dieplays all my C and C++ files with a variable-width font, in which the
> indentations I've been using have become microscopic. What's more,
> carefully counted-out ASCII tables and diagrams have become unreadable.
>
> Why is this? Why has this nonsense been inflicted on programmers? What
> can I do about it? Why should it even be necessary to do anything,
> considering that emacs is presumably maintained by programmers?
>
> -- hendrik

Directory listings no longer line up, and are that much more unreadable.

Am I going to have to change to vi?

-- hendrik

Old 05-01-2011, 04:27 AM
Teemu Likonen

* 2011-05-01T02:35:30Z * Hendrik Boom wrote:

> Directory listings no longer line up, and are that much more
> unreadable.

I think it's because "ls" command have changed its default date and time
format to "locale" and some locales don't not return fixed-width
strings. Here's the fix to add in your .emacs file:

(setenv "TIME_STYLE" "long-iso")