Old 05-01-2011, 02:21 AM
Hendrik Boom

Default Why had emacs 23 become so ugly?

I'm still running squeeze. For some reason, when I run emacs now, it
dieplays all my C and C++ files with a variable-width font, in which the
indentations I've been using have become microscopic. What's more,
carefully counted-out ASCII tables and diagrams have become unreadable.

Why is this? Why has this nonsense been inflicted on programmers? What
can I do about it? Why should it even be necessary to do anything,
considering that emacs is presumably maintained by programmers?

-- hendrik

Old 05-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Hendrik Boom

On Sun, 01 May 2011 02:21:25 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> I'm still running squeeze. For some reason, when I run emacs now, it
> dieplays all my C and C++ files with a variable-width font, in which the
> indentations I've been using have become microscopic. What's more,
> carefully counted-out ASCII tables and diagrams have become unreadable.
>
> Why is this? Why has this nonsense been inflicted on programmers? What
> can I do about it? Why should it even be necessary to do anything,
> considering that emacs is presumably maintained by programmers?
>
> -- hendrik

Actually, the ugliness is just there when I start it from the command
line. Starting from the Debian menu programs->applications->editors-
>emacs23 (x11) it works fine. As does programs->applications->editors-
>emacs23 (text), which starts up in an xterm.

So why should running it from the command line in an xterm be different?

-- hendrik

Old 05-01-2011, 03:00 AM
Kumar Appaiah

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 02:21:25AM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I'm still running squeeze. For some reason, when I run emacs now, it
> dieplays all my C and C++ files with a variable-width font, in which the
> indentations I've been using have become microscopic. What's more,
> carefully counted-out ASCII tables and diagrams have become unreadable.
>
> Why is this? Why has this nonsense been inflicted on programmers? What
> can I do about it? Why should it even be necessary to do anything,
> considering that emacs is presumably maintained by programmers?

This is possibly due to the default font setting. You can choose a
monospace font and have all the goodness you wished for. For instance,
the following works for me in my .emacs, but YMMV.

(setq running-emacs-23 (> emacs-major-version 22))
(if running-emacs-23
(progn (set-default-font "Monospace-7")))

Kumar
--
And Bruce is effectively building BruceIX
-- Alan Cox

Old 05-01-2011, 06:54 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-05-01 04:46 +0200, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Sun, 01 May 2011 02:21:25 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
>> I'm still running squeeze. For some reason, when I run emacs now, it
>> dieplays all my C and C++ files with a variable-width font, in which the
>> indentations I've been using have become microscopic. What's more,
>> carefully counted-out ASCII tables and diagrams have become unreadable.
>>
>> Why is this? Why has this nonsense been inflicted on programmers? What
>> can I do about it? Why should it even be necessary to do anything,
>> considering that emacs is presumably maintained by programmers?
>>
>> -- hendrik
>
> Actually, the ugliness is just there when I start it from the command
> line. Starting from the Debian menu programs->applications->editors-
>>emacs23 (x11) it works fine. As does programs->applications->editors-
>>emacs23 (text), which starts up in an xterm.
>
> So why should running it from the command line in an xterm be different?

Probably due to Xresources starting with "emacs". If you invoke Emacs
as "emacs" it does read those, but it ignores them when started under a
different name (the menu invokes Emacs as "emacs23"). What does
"xrdb -query | grep -i emacs" print?

Sven