Old 04-30-2011, 11:11 PM
eigenroot

Default wireless connection problem of BCM 4312 LP-PHY wireless card with Network Manager

Hi all,
I installed Linux Mint Debian Edition which was based on Debian Testing on my laptop. One problem I found was that my wireless connection was frequently dropped off after some idling. And it was not predictable: sometimes I left it overnight and the wireless was still good, but sometimes I just left for 10min and it was off. I used Network Manager (v0.8.3.999), by which the wireless couldn't be reconnected successfully once it got dropped . Command "lspci -vnn | grep 14e4" gave result:*

04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
And I used the package "firmware-b43-lpphy-installer" in Debian's repository to install the wireless driver. Before that I used Fedora 14 on the same laptop but it didn't have such problem (the wireless driver was installed from rpmfusion repositories).*

Right now I get around this problem by reloading "b43" driver once it happens. But I have no idea whether it was due to the driver itself, or Network Manager.
Could anyone please help? Thanks very much.**

Old 05-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Klistvud

[...]

I'd uninstall NetworkManager and install wicd instead, giving it a test
ride. It miraculously cured the flaky Broadcom wireless on my Squeeze
laptop (slow speeds, erratic ping times, incurable disconnects etc.).

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Adrian Rocha

I had*the same*problem on my*laptop*(wireless*Broadcom*BCM4322) on*Ubuntu10.10.In*fedora14*works*perfectly

Dne, 01. 05. 2011 01:11:23 je eigenroot napisal(a):
> Hi all,
>
> I installed Linux Mint Debian Edition which was based on Debian Testing on
> my laptop. One problem I found was that my wireless connection was
> frequently dropped off after some idling. And it was not predictable:
> sometimes I left it overnight and the wireless was still good, but sometimes
> I just left for 10min and it was off. I used Network Manager (v0.8.3.999),
> by which the wireless couldn't be reconnected successfully once it got
> dropped . Command "lspci -vnn | grep 14e4" gave result:
>
> 04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
802.11b/g
> LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
>
> And I used the package "firmware-b43-lpphy-installer" in Debian's repository
> to install the wireless driver. Before that I used Fedora 14 on the same
> laptop but it didn't have such problem (the wireless driver was installed
> from rpmfusion repositories).
>
> Right now I get around this problem by reloading "b43" driver once it
> happens. But I have no idea whether it was due to the driver itself, or
> Network Manager.
>
> Could anyone please help? Thanks very much.

I'd uninstall NetworkManager and install wicd instead, giving it a test ride. It miraculously cured the flaky Broadcom wireless on my Squeeze laptop (slow speeds, erratic ping times, incurable disconnects etc.).

--Cheerio,

Klistvud* * * * * * * * * * * * * * http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
Certifiable Loonix User #481801* * * Please reply to the list, not to me.