FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-30-2011, 08:52 PM
mark
 
Default update firmware??

Running Lenny 5.06. I need to install wine, and went through the
process, but I got an error that said that I needed to update
firmware for my nic. This is the text that I saw:

r8169: rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw

This is due to changing the kernel from 2.6.26-2-486 to 2.6.35-5-486

I was advised to add contrib and non-free to my config (which I did).
Now what do I download to update the firmware? (I normally use
synaptic)

Thanks,

Mark


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201104301652.26717.mark@neidorff.com">http://lists.debian.org/201104301652.26717.mark@neidorff.com
 
Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Sven Joachim
 
Default update firmware??

On 2011-04-30 22:52 +0200, mark wrote:

> Running Lenny 5.06. I need to install wine, and went through the
> process, but I got an error that said that I needed to update
> firmware for my nic. This is the text that I saw:
>
> r8169: rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw
>
> This is due to changing the kernel from 2.6.26-2-486 to 2.6.35-5-486
>
> I was advised to add contrib and non-free to my config (which I did).
> Now what do I download to update the firmware? (I normally use
> synaptic)

You can search on for files on packages.debian.org, here is a link for
you:
http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=rtl8168d-2.fw&mode=path&suite=stable&arch=any

Following that, you'll need the firmware-realtek package.

Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87pqo3784s.fsf@turtle.gmx.de">http://lists.debian.org/87pqo3784s.fsf@turtle.gmx.de
 
Old 04-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default update firmware??

On Sb, 30 apr 11, 16:52:26, mark wrote:
> Running Lenny 5.06. I need to install wine, and went through the
> process, but I got an error that said that I needed to update
> firmware for my nic. This is the text that I saw:
>
> r8169: rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw
>
> This is due to changing the kernel from 2.6.26-2-486 to 2.6.35-5-486
>
> I was advised to add contrib and non-free to my config (which I did).
> Now what do I download to update the firmware? (I normally use
> synaptic)

Firmware packages usually have the full file name in the description.

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 04-30-2011, 09:52 PM
mark
 
Default update firmware??

On Saturday 30 April 2011 05:16:03 pm Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-04-30 22:52 +0200, mark wrote:
> > Running Lenny 5.06. I need to install wine, and went through the
> > process, but I got an error that said that I needed to update
> > firmware for my nic. This is the text that I saw:
> >
> > r8169: rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw
> >
> > This is due to changing the kernel from 2.6.26-2-486 to
> > 2.6.35-5-486
> >
> > I was advised to add contrib and non-free to my config (which I
> > did). Now what do I download to update the firmware? (I normally
> > use synaptic)
>
> You can search on for files on packages.debian.org, here is a link
> for you:
> http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=rtl816
>8d-2.fw&mode=path&suite=stable&arch=any
>
> Following that, you'll need the firmware-realtek package.
>
> Sven

Thank you. That made it very easy.

Mark


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201104301752.43651.mark@neidorff.com">http://lists.debian.org/201104301752.43651.mark@neidorff.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:19 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org