Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Mark

Default Anyone know now long backports.org will be down?

If I missed an announcement somewhere, I apologize, but backports.org is down and I'd like to know when it will be back up?

Thank you,
Mark

Old 04-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Salvatore Bonaccorso

Hi Mark

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 01:07:39PM -0700, Mark wrote:
> If I missed an announcement somewhere, I apologize, but backports.org is
> down and I'd like to know when it will be back up?

backports is now an official service and can be found under
backports.debian.org. See [1].

[1] http://backports.debian.org/news/backports.org_moved_to_backports.debian.org/

HTH and best regards
Salvatore

Old 04-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Sven Hoexter

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 01:07:39PM -0700, Mark wrote:
> If I missed an announcement somewhere, I apologize, but backports.org is
> down and I'd like to know when it will be back up?

Never? backports.debian.org is where you want to go.

Sven
--
I don't know much, but I do know this:
With a golden heart, comes a rebel fist

Old 04-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Mark

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 01:07:39PM -0700, Mark wrote:

> If I missed an announcement somewhere, I apologize, but backports.org is

> down and I'd like to know when it will be back up?

backports is now an official service and can be found under

backports.debian.org. See [1].

*[1] http://backports.debian.org/news/backports.org_moved_to_backports.debian.org/

Thank you Salvatore and Sven.* Logged into a Lenny box I hadn't used in a while, and wound up changing

deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free

deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports lenny-backports main contrib non-free

and now all is good again with the world

Thanks,
Mark

Old 05-01-2011, 01:06 AM
shawn wilson

On Apr 30, 2011 6:55 PM, "Mark" <mamarcac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil@debian.org> wrote:

>> Hi Mark

>> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 01:07:39PM -0700, Mark wrote:

>> > If I missed an announcement somewhere, I apologize, but backports.org is

>> > down and I'd like to know when it will be back up?

>> backports is now an official service and can be found under

>> backports.debian.org. See [1].

>> *[1] http://backports.debian.org/news/backports.org_moved_to_backports.debian.org/

> Thank you Salvatore and Sven.* Logged into a Lenny box I hadn't used in a while, and wound up changing

> deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free

> deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports lenny-backports main contrib non-free

> and now all is good again with the world

All the same, they should know better than to break part of the internet. That's sorta uncalled for.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, shawn wilson wrote:
> All the same, they should know better than to break part of the internet.
> That's sorta uncalled for.

Someone has to pay for the domain and hosting and bandwidth for the redirect
server. Are you volunteering to do that? It would be most welcome, I am
sure.

The move was announced widely, including in backports.org itself and the
mailing lists you were strongly urged to subscribe to in the backports.org
terms of service and usage directions.

It is now down, so any remaining users will be forced to ask about it, and
will get pointed to the right place. Eventually (and I hope it will take a
long time to happen) the domain will expire, some squatter will get hold of
that domain, and do whatever evil things they might care to.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 05-01-2011, 03:55 PM
shawn wilson

On May 1, 2011 9:58 AM, "Henrique de Moraes Holschuh" <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, shawn wilson wrote:

> > All the same, they should know better than to break part of the internet.

> > That's sorta uncalled for.

> Someone has to pay for the domain and hosting and bandwidth for the redirect

> server. *Are you volunteering to do that? *It would be most welcome, I am

> sure.

It should cost $7 to $10 per year to keep the domain. So, the closest I can find is 'donate services and hardware' here: http://www.debian.org/donations so someone has a month until the domain expires or two (?) until it goes back into the pool for anyone to buy to tell me how to make sure that's maintained.

Oh, and I don't really think there's any maintaining servers sense (the majority of?) that data is on debian.org/backports IIRC. I think this was more of a political issue than a money / time / anything else issue.