Old 04-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Rob Owens

Default fullscreen video with mencoder

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 01:12:36PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/30/2011 11:07 AM, Jeffrin Jose wrote:
> >Hello Everybody,
> >
> >Is there any method to encode DVD to a fullscreen
> >video without getting stretched,using mencoder ?
> >

> I don't think that mencoder is the right tool for that task. "Let
> the player handle full screen" is what I say.
>
> Anyway, 16:9 video will never "neatly" fill a 4:3 monitor (and same
> for 4:3 video w/ a 16:9 monitor. You must live with the black bars.

I think he wants the black bars. What he doesn't want is for the video
to get stretched to fill the screen, wrecking the aspect ratio in the
process.

-Rob

Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Ron Johnson

On 04/30/2011 02:04 PM, Rob Owens wrote:

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 01:12:36PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 04/30/2011 11:07 AM, Jeffrin Jose wrote:

Hello Everybody,

Is there any method to encode DVD to a fullscreen
video without getting stretched,using mencoder ?

I don't think that mencoder is the right tool for that task. "Let
the player handle full screen" is what I say.

Anyway, 16:9 video will never "neatly" fill a 4:3 monitor (and same
for 4:3 video w/ a 16:9 monitor. You must live with the black bars.

I think he wants the black bars. What he doesn't want is for the video
to get stretched to fill the screen, wrecking the aspect ratio in the
process.

Neither mplayer nor vlc distort the AR when running in full screen mode.
Any player that does distort the AR is worthless.

corrupt."

Archive: 4DBC6486.6010204@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DBC6486.6010204@cox.net

Old 04-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Leonardo Ruoso

I suppose you want help for something a little bit specific..... could you please give a little bit more detailed scene?
You can adapt 16:9 to 4:3 and 4:3 to 16:9 adding "black bars" or cropping.

--

software engineer.

department of computer science

rajagiri school of engineering and technology.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20110430160725.GA11086@debian.Jeff

--
Leonardo Ruoso - Jornalista/DesenvolvedorAssessoria de Imprensa. Consultoria de Marketing.*Desenvolvimento e Integração de Software.*

Comunicação Social/Jornalismo - UFC/2006. Telecomunicações - ETFCE/1998.*Foos, Perl, Debian Gnu/Linux, Agile, UML, DBA e OOP. Coaching/NLP. Inglês e Francês.*http://leonardo.ruoso.com*-*http://www.linkedin.com/in/lruoso

Old 04-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Jeffrin Jose

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 03:04:37PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> I think he wants the black bars. What he doesn't want is for the video
> to get stretched to fill the screen, wrecking the aspect ratio in the
> process.

I do not want the black bars. I need the picture to be
fullscreen without getting stretched.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 01 mai 11, 02:58:43, Jeffrin Jose wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 03:04:37PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > I think he wants the black bars. What he doesn't want is for the video
> > to get stretched to fill the screen, wrecking the aspect ratio in the
> > process.
>
> I do not want the black bars. I need the picture to be
> fullscreen without getting stretched.

What is the resolution of the video?
What is the resolution of the display?

Before you answer these questions we can only guess what you want.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 04-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Ron Johnson

On 04/30/2011 04:28 PM, Jeffrin Jose wrote:

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 03:04:37PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:

I think he wants the black bars. What he doesn't want is for the video
to get stretched to fill the screen, wrecking the aspect ratio in the
process.

I do not want the black bars. I need the picture to be
fullscreen without getting stretched.

You're asking why a round peg doesn't fit square hole.

corrupt."

Archive: 4DBC8E52.7070808@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DBC8E52.7070808@cox.net

Old 04-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 17:33:54 -0500, Ron wrote in message
<4DBC8E52.7070808@cox.net>:

> On 04/30/2011 04:28 PM, Jeffrin Jose wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 03:04:37PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> >> I think he wants the black bars. What he doesn't want is for the
> >> video to get stretched to fill the screen, wrecking the aspect
> >> ratio in the process.
> >
> > I do not want the black bars. I need the picture to be
> > fullscreen without getting stretched.
> >

> You're asking why a round peg doesn't fit square hole.

..that's because it hasn't been hit hard enough yet, so try
a slegdehammer. ;o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 05-01-2011, 03:53 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <20110430212842.GA16962@debian.Jeff>, Jeffrin Jose wrote:
>On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 03:04:37PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
>> I think he wants the black bars. What he doesn't want is for the video
>> to get stretched to fill the screen, wrecking the aspect ratio in the
>> process.
>
>I do not want the black bars. I need the picture to be
>fullscreen without getting stretched.

So, you want the picture cropped to the screen size?

E.g.:
If you have a video that is 16x9 and you have a 576x432 screen you can:
(1) Scale by a factor of 36 in both dimensions, maintaining aspect ratio, to a
576x324 video and add 88 rows of black pixel padding to fill the rest of the
screen.
(2) Scale by a factor of 48 in both directions, maintaining aspect ratio, to a
768x432 video and delete 192 columns of data by cropping since it can't all be
displayed on the screen.
(3) Scale by a factor of 36 horizontally, and 48 vertically, stretching the
image--changing the aspect ratio by a factor of 4/3, but giving a exactly
576x432 video.

Most video players with a full-screen mode do (1). Many have an option to do
(3). I've not seen a GUI option for doing (2), but I'm sure there's a
command-line invocation of mplayer (and possibly others) to do it.

#2 is somewhat crappy, since it loses data. It has certainly been used, as
part of "pan-and-scan" conversions, but they are usually human assisted, so
they can avoid cutting out important events. (I can imagine a full automated
pan-and-scan but I don't know anything that does that, yet.)
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

#2 is somewhat crappy, since it loses data. It has certainly been used, as
part of "pan-and-scan" conversions, but they are usually human assisted, so
they can avoid cutting out important events. (I can imagine a full automated
pan-and-scan but I don't know anything that does that, yet.)

Maybe I missed something along the way, but I think there is a more-or-
less standard that just chops the sides off wide-screen pictures and
fills the

screen with the center 4x3 section of picture. Unless you have wide-screen
text or a spreadsheet, this seems to work fine for most other purposes.
(I'm still using 4/3 displays on Linux and Windows and I have no
intention of

changing until a monitor burns out. I would lose too much horizontal surface
[i.e., desk space] if I had a 16/9 screen of the same height as I have now--
which I need for comfortable reading and writing of text.) Oh--I don't play
shoot-em-ups.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley

Archive: 4DBCFEFC.5030603@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DBCFEFC.5030603@optonline.net

Old 05-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Ron Johnson

On 05/01/2011 01:34 AM, Doug wrote:
[snip]

Maybe I missed something along the way, but I think there is a more-or-
less standard that just chops the sides off wide-screen pictures and
fills the
screen with the center 4x3 section of picture.

That's called pan-and-scan, and you must manually specify when
transcoding the video that you want to chop off the edges.

Unless you have wide-screen

text or a spreadsheet, this seems to work fine for most other purposes.
(I'm still using 4/3 displays on Linux and Windows and I have no
intention of
changing until a monitor burns out. I would lose too much horizontal
surface
[i.e., desk space] if I had a 16/9 screen of the same height as I have
now--
which I need for comfortable reading and writing of text.) Oh--I don't play
shoot-em-ups.

newegg sells some 4:3 LCDs in a range of prices. I bought two Hanns-G
19" 4:3 monitors and am nothing but pleased with them.

corrupt."