Old 02-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Angus Auld

Default gdm session chooser list

I would like to ask whether someone could direct me to
the config file that manages the gdm chooser list at
login.

I seem to have duplicate entries since I installed
IceWM and Fluxbox. Previous I had been running Xfce as
desktop on my Debian Etch.

While this is no biggie, I would like to get rid of
the dup entries.

I have been searching configs to no avail. The file
that contains the session chooser list has eluded me
thus far.

Any help on this minor annoyance would be greatly appreciated.

--
Angus

"All churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, appear
to me no other than human inventions, setup to terrify and
enslave mankind - and to monopolize power and profit."
-- Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

######Linux Laptop powered by Debian Linux######
###########Reg. Linux User #278931###########

Old 02-11-2008, 05:53 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:55:13 -0800 (PST)
Angus Auld <aonghas_auld@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would like to ask whether someone could direct me to
> the config file that manages the gdm chooser list at
> login.
>
> I seem to have duplicate entries since I installed
> IceWM and Fluxbox. Previous I had been running Xfce as
> desktop on my Debian Etch.
>
> While this is no biggie, I would like to get rid of
> the dup entries.
>
> I have been searching configs to no avail. The file
> that contains the session chooser list has eluded me
> thus far.
>
> Any help on this minor annoyance would be greatly appreciated.

Check out /usr/share/gdm/BuiltInSessions

I think that is what you are looking for.

Hope that helps.

Amit

Old 02-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Angus Auld

--- Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439@csun.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:55:13 -0800 (PST)
> Angus Auld <aonghas_auld@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I would like to ask whether someone could direct
> me to
> > the config file that manages the gdm chooser list
> at
> > login.
> >
> > I seem to have duplicate entries since I installed
> > IceWM and Fluxbox. Previous I had been running
> Xfce as
> > desktop on my Debian Etch.
> >
> > While this is no biggie, I would like to get rid
> of
> > the dup entries.
> >
> > I have been searching configs to no avail. The
> file
> > that contains the session chooser list has eluded
> me
> > thus far.
> >
> > Any help on this minor annoyance would be greatly
> appreciated.
> >

> Check out /usr/share/gdm/BuiltInSessions
>
> I think that is what you are looking for.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Amit

Thank you for the reply on this Amit. I checked out
the file you mentioned -
/usr/share/gdm/BuiltInSessions/Default System Session,
but that seems to contain only the words "Default
System Session" in a miriad of languages.
However, the file /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf likely
contains the info I need. I say likely, because the
file is huge (594 lines!), and to me cryptic at best.
At lines #'s 130 > 151 approximately, it seems that
gdm is accessing sessions info from three locations,
and two of those locations on my system contain the
same info (/usr/share/xsessions/, and
/var/lib/menu-xdg/xsessions/) - which are the session
choice entries that are appearing in duplicate, namely
- desktop config files: FluxBox, IceWM,
IceWM-Experimental, and XFwm.
The files /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf and
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf are the ones I have pinpointed as
being where I need to look to solve this.
However, after trying to understand these configs, my
annoyance of the duplicates is now much less than my
annoyance at trying to eliminate them. Is it just me,
or does gdm seem a bit "over the top" when it comes to
configuration?
I never really took a liking to Gnome....always found
config to be a pain. I'm still feeling that way. I use
XFce primarily, and like it very much. My Dreamlinux
(Debian Etch) distribution does use some Gnome
processes however.

Best regards.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

> However, after trying to understand these configs, my
> annoyance of the duplicates is now much less than my
> annoyance at trying to eliminate them. Is it just me,
> or does gdm seem a bit "over the top" when it comes to
> configuration?
> I never really took a liking to Gnome....always found
> config to be a pain. I'm still feeling that way. I use
> XFce primarily, and like it very much. My Dreamlinux
> (Debian Etch) distribution does use some Gnome
> processes however.
>
> Best regards.

Hey Angus,

Yeah GDM seems like it is an overly complicated piece of software. But that is because it is heavily customizable and is used for a variety of purposes (remote login, safe mode, etc). There is another lightweight session chooser called xdm if I am not mistaken but it is not as "pretty" as gdm.

I guess if you don't need gdm you can choose to eliminate it from startup and have your X server automatically login to XFCE. I did this before and have the notes somewhere if you need it.

I myself don't use the GNOME window manager at all. I use a very lightweight WM called DWM (www.suckless.org/dwm). Amazing piece of software. Check it out. It takes a while to get used to but I find myself more productive now that I am using this.

Regards,
Amit

Old 02-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 12:15:30AM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

> Yeah GDM seems like it is an overly complicated piece of software. But
> that is because it is heavily customizable and is used for a variety of
> purposes (remote login, safe mode, etc). There is another lightweight
> session chooser called xdm if I am not mistaken but it is not as
> "pretty" as gdm.

Debian has gdm, kdm, wdm and xdm. gdm and kdm are well-maintained and
actually used. xdm and wdm are not really usable. Technically they are.
But there's not much to gain from using them.

BTW: both xdm and wdm support remote login. It's a basic functionality
that has been in xdm for long time. There's also ldm for remote logins
over ssh.

BTW: consider good old console login and startx.

> I guess if you don't need gdm you can choose to eliminate it from
> startup and have your X server automatically login to XFCE. I did
> this before and have the notes somewhere if you need it.

Rather than reinvent the wheel and get into a loop at some problem with
the X server, do use xdm and automatic login for that. gdm and kdm
support automatic login. xdm and wdm - not , IIRC.

> I myself don't use the GNOME window manager at all. I use a very
> lightweight WM called DWM (www.suckless.org/dwm). Amazing piece of
> software. Check it out. It takes a while to get used to but I find
> myself more productive now that I am using this.

I personally use icewm. Most of the time of the session startup here is
spent by a numch of extra programs I set to start (the slowest is
iceape/iceweasel)

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Angus Auld

--- Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439@csun.edu> wrote:

> > However, after trying to understand these configs,
> my
> > annoyance of the duplicates is now much less than
> my
> > annoyance at trying to eliminate them. Is it just
> me,
> > or does gdm seem a bit "over the top" when it
> comes to
> > configuration?
> > I never really took a liking to Gnome....always
> found
> > config to be a pain. I'm still feeling that way. I
> use
> > XFce primarily, and like it very much. My
> Dreamlinux
> > (Debian Etch) distribution does use some Gnome
> > processes however.
> >
> > Best regards.
> >

> Hey Angus,
>
> Yeah GDM seems like it is an overly complicated
> piece of software. But that is because it is heavily
> customizable and is used for a variety of purposes
> (remote login, safe mode, etc). There is another
> lightweight session chooser called xdm if I am not
> mistaken but it is not as "pretty" as gdm.
>
> I guess if you don't need gdm you can choose to
> eliminate it from startup and have your X server
> automatically login to XFCE. I did this before and
> have the notes somewhere if you need it.
>
> I myself don't use the GNOME window manager at all.
> I use a very lightweight WM called DWM
> (www.suckless.org/dwm). Amazing piece of software.
> Check it out. It takes a while to get used to but I
> find myself more productive now that I am using
> this.
>
> Regards,
> Amit

Thanks for your feedback Amit, much appreciated. While
I probably don't *need* gdm, I like it's convenience.
The annoyance of there being duplicate entries for
sessions, as I mentioned is no big deal, really.
I've read a bit about xdm, and I may give it a try.

I'm not familiar with DWM, but I do use Fluxbox quite
regularly as an alternative window manager. I like
trying different wm's, prevents boredom.

Thanks once again....best regards.