Old 04-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Andrew McGlashan

Default FullHD notebook support under Debian (sid)

Hi,

Camaleón wrote:

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 10:51:45 -0300, Leonardo Ruoso wrote:

But almost no manufacturer will give me this kind of information "Debian
Compatilble". Whenever I ask they say it will be Windows 7 compatible
only, even when I have no issues.

I recently acquired some HP notebooks for my company that were able to be
bought with Windows 7 and SuSE Linux SLED 11 (and there is a good chance
that the machine works with almost any other linux distro).

But yes, that kind of information is not always showed to the user. I'd
say the vast majority of the manufacturers do not include it, you have to
discover by yourself :-(

You can however, take a look here:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

Is a list made by users.

The trouble is that any laptop model even from the same manufacturer can
have many variations ... different screen resolution, different video
card, different wireless options, with or without bluetooth, different
CPU capabilities. The list of differences can be quite significant.
Some models have very specific inclusions without customization, other
models can be customized all sorts of ways.

Long ago I learnt that if you bought a HP machine with a specific model
designation that one month might see this or that chip installed and the
next month might see an alternative WITHOUT changes to the model
designation. So you can't rely fully on a make/model to be certain that
you have a "compatible" machine.

FullHD is 1080p (progressive) so you will need a laptop that can handle
that resolution natively (1920x1080). Almost any of the laptop
manufacturers have models for home, multimedia and entertainment that
will fit your FullHD needs (Sony, Toshiba, HP, Asus....).

I prefer high resolution so that I can fit more on my screen and the
display isn't limited. So many laptops have 1366x768 which is far less
preferable on a larger screen, but is preferable on a smaller screen
(netbook). So, I agree, get the highest resolution that is available
and make sure that the laptop has at least a dedicated graphic card with
it's own memory. Switchable, perhaps automatic, between dedicated
graphic cards and other low power graphic chipset is also desirable if
you are going to be running on batteries often enough.

Here is an article [1] that might help a little, but perhaps only as a
check list of things to look for. Now given the article was written in
July or August last year, it is likely that models have changed and some
of the device is already dated -- particularly insofar as laptops go anyway.

Bottom line is that there are all sorts of reasons why a machine might
be good for you or not and it's customization options are important to
consider as much as the make / model to start with.

[1] http://communitylinux.org/node/235

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Archive: 4DBC4DAA.7050107@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4DBC4DAA.7050107@affinityvision.com.au

Old 04-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sb, 30 apr 11, 14:19:03, Leonardo Ruoso wrote:
> > Will notebooks standardize on 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio?
>
> In my (not very informed) opinion the trend seems to be towards 16:9.

In my somewhat informed opinion, you will only get 16:9 from Lenovo on the
2011 and 2012 models, and probably from the other manufacturers as well.

How one is supposed to be able to use a 16:9 screen for any coding, report
writing, spreadsheet work, and even *reading*, I have no clue. Hell, it is
useless even for presentations, and that's saying something...

I mean, I can get some use out of 16:9 >22" screens as I just use them as if
they were two smaller screens side by side or get a monitor that lets me
rotate the screen, but in a small notebook?

IMO tablets WILL kill the notebook in the next five years, if only because a
tablet can be used in the proper orientation for serious work (including
reading) AND you can attach a bluetooth keyboard to it.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 04-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Ron Johnson