Old 04-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Leonardo Ruoso

Default FullHD notebook support under Debian (sid)

I'm addicted to Debian and*I need a new notebook, but I don't like replacing my hardware too often.*
I*suppose*requiring a FullHD display is a good strategy to buy a new notebook and keep it for the next 10 years :-)*

Brazil has a program of low interest rates for computers manufactured in the country (Sony, Dell, etc..).
What about a checklist to not buy anything with a poor Debian support?*

I don't mind using Sid/Experimental.*I'm*running*Gnome 3 on an*originally*sarge computer by now and I'm very happy with it.
I recently bought my wife a Sony*vpc-ea43fb and got it running well after pushing it to the experimental kernel. No luck with testing. It's not a problem, but it's a pretty basic/cheap model with a 1366x768 display and I'd like to get something more interesting :-)

Leonardo Ruoso - Jornalista/DesenvolvedorAssessoria de Imprensa. Consultoria de Marketing.*Desenvolvimento e Integração de Software.*

Comunicação Social/Jornalismo - UFC/2006. Telecomunicações - ETFCE/1998.*Foos, Perl, Debian Gnu/Linux, Agile, UML, DBA e OOP. Coaching/NLP. Inglês e Francês.*http://leonardo.ruoso.com*-*http://www.linkedin.com/in/lruoso

Old 04-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 09:50:32 -0300, Leonardo Ruoso wrote:

> I'm addicted to Debian and I need a new notebook, but I don't like
> replacing my hardware too often.

Being a laptop you can be happy with ~5 years of lifecycle. Beside that,
you'll start facing problems (manufacturer has completely dropped support
for that model, no more replacement pieces, etc...) :-)

> I suppose requiring a FullHD display is a good strategy to buy a new
> notebook and keep it for the next 10 years :-)

(...)

Sure? Why?

FullHD will be superseded by SuperFullHD in SuperHighXtra Definition in
4D... sooner or later so just look for a laptop that you like now that is
compatible with Debian and go ahead ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Leonardo Ruoso

2011/4/30 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 09:50:32 -0300, Leonardo Ruoso wrote:

> I'm addicted to Debian and I need a new notebook, but I don't like

> replacing my hardware too often.

Being a laptop you can be happy with ~5 years of lifecycle. Beside that,

you'll start facing problems (manufacturer has completely dropped support

for that model, no more replacement pieces, etc...) :-)

Okay, 5+ years is still better then 2+.**

> I suppose requiring a FullHD display is a good strategy to buy a new

> notebook and keep it for the next 10 years :-)
*FullHD will be superseded by SuperFullHD in SuperHighXtra Definition in

4D... sooner or later so just look for a laptop that you like now that is

compatible with Debian and go ahead ;-)

But almost no manufacturer will give me this kind of information "Debian Compatilble". Whenever I ask they say it will be Windows 7 compatible only, even when I have no issues.*

FullHD is not the current standard for DTV, Blueray and camcorders?*Although I believe DTV will evolve faster than PAL/NTSC standards, I believe FullHD will stand as a standard for quite a while, surely far more than 10 years from now.*Telecommunications (including broadcasting) is a lot more conservative than personal computing.

Is there a place where I can check notebook models against Debian?**Greetings,

--

Camaleón

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.04.30.13.32.41@gmail.com

Old 04-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 10:51:45 -0300, Leonardo Ruoso wrote:

> 2011/4/30 Camaleón
>
>> > I suppose requiring a FullHD display is a good strategy to buy a new
>> > notebook and keep it for the next 10 years :-)
>>

>> FullHD will be superseded by SuperFullHD in SuperHighXtra Definition in
>> 4D... sooner or later so just look for a laptop that you like now that
>> is compatible with Debian and go ahead ;-)
>>

> But almost no manufacturer will give me this kind of information "Debian
> Compatilble". Whenever I ask they say it will be Windows 7 compatible
> only, even when I have no issues.

I recently acquired some HP notebooks for my company that were able to be
bought with Windows 7 and SuSE Linux SLED 11 (and there is a good chance
that the machine works with almost any other linux distro).

But yes, that kind of information is not always showed to the user. I'd
say the vast majority of the manufacturers do not include it, you have to
discover by yourself :-(

You can however, take a look here:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

Is a list made by users.

> FullHD is not the current standard for DTV, Blueray and camcorders?

Now yes... but the question is, do you need FullHD in your laptop? I
don't, so that's a personal preference, nothing to do with the longevity
of the computer :-)

> Although I believe DTV will evolve faster than PAL/NTSC standards, I
> believe FullHD will stand as a standard for quite a while, surely far
> more than 10 years from now. Telecommunications (including broadcasting)
> is a lot more conservative than personal computing.
>
> Is there a place where I can check notebook models against Debian?

FullHD is 1080p (progressive) so you will need a laptop that can handle
that resolution natively (1920x1080). Almost any of the laptop
manufacturers have models for home, multimedia and entertainment that
will fit your FullHD needs (Sony, Toshiba, HP, Asus....).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Leonardo Ruoso

2011/4/30 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 10:51:45 -0300, Leonardo Ruoso wrote:

> 2011/4/30 Camaleón

You can however, take a look here:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

Is a list made by users.Thanks I'll use it although they say they don't deal with X drivers with is a major source of trouble.

FullHD is 1080p (progressive) so you will need a laptop that can handle
that resolution natively (1920x1080). Almost any of the laptop

manufacturers have models for home, multimedia and entertainment that

will fit your FullHD needs (Sony, Toshiba, HP, Asus....).

Sure... I know... just don't know how to figure out before buying and trying if a FullHD Sony notebook will work with Debian. No need to work without kernel recompilation. I'm*specially*concerned about opengl/graphics acceleration. The vesa driver is not a real option.

*
Greetings,

--

Camaleón

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.04.30.14.05.41@gmail.com

Old 04-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Leonardo Ruoso

2011/4/30 richard van beers <richard.van.beers@gmail.com>

Look for HP/Dell models that can be shipped with linux. Note the

graphics chipset. Then research those for other users experiences.
Interesting ->*I've tried to configure a notebook now at both Dell (http://www.dell.com.br) and HP (http://www.hp.com.br) sites ant they won't let me choose any Linux or even allow me to buy it without Windows 7 anymore.*

Old 04-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 30 apr 11, 09:50:32, Leonardo Ruoso wrote:
> I'm addicted to Debian and I need a new notebook, but I don't like replacing
> my hardware too often.
>
> I suppose requiring a FullHD display is a good strategy to buy a new
> notebook and keep it for the next 10 years :-)

I can understand wanting a high-res display, but do you need exactly
1920x1080? In my case it would be nice as I connect my laptop quite
often to the TV, and having different resolutions makes some things more
complicated then they should be.

> Brazil has a program of low interest rates for computers manufactured in the
> country (Sony, Dell, etc..).

Personally I would go with a ThinkPad anytime (I specifically did not
say Lenovo, because their non-ThinkPad stuff is not so good).

> What about a checklist to not buy anything with a poor Debian support?

At the moment the support for the nvidia proprietary driver is much
better than fglrx. The open source alternatives (nouveau and radeon) are
both usable, but don't provide great (3d) performance and might not
support the newest chipsets.

Regarding wireless I understand Atheros chipsets don't need additional
(possibly non-free) firmware and are quite well supported. I guess the
next best option would be Intel chipsets, which do need non-free
firmware, but have good driver support (by Intel even).

Webcams and sound may also give you some headache and also power saving
functions (suspend to RAM, suspend to disk, ...)

I think it would be best if you can test the laptop with a Debian Live.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 04-30-2011, 04:54 PM
richard van beers

Strange, I could not select linux at Dell anymore, but I sure can still at HP.
If I search Dell for "Linux" some models do show, seemingly having
once been offered with Ubuntu 10.10
Im searching in the Dutch market btw.

The best supported chipset seems to be Intels mobile express. HP also
offers Suse enterprise models with ATI Radeon
HD 5470, HD 6370, 6470M

gl

Old 04-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Klaus Wolf

Hi,

if you need an easy to install Debian than look on

http://community.linuxmint.com

There is a download for lmde = LinuxMintDebianEdition and that
will configure and install the actual Debian with some
extended features

good luck and a nice day

klaus

Old 04-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Leonardo Ruoso

2011/4/30 Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>

On Sb, 30 apr 11, 09:50:32, Leonardo Ruoso wrote:

> I'm addicted to Debian and I need a new notebook, but I don't like replacing

> my hardware too often.

> I suppose requiring a FullHD display is a good strategy to buy a new

> notebook and keep it for the next 10 years :-)

I can understand wanting a high-res display, but do you need exactly

1920x1080? In my case it would be nice as I connect my laptop quite

often to the TV, and having different resolutions makes some things more

complicated then they should be.
I can't add much. It sounds nice to have a shared resolution with consumer/presentation media products.**

Personally I would go with a ThinkPad anytime (I specifically did not
say Lenovo, because their non-ThinkPad stuff is not so good).
Will notebooks*standardize on 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio?**

I think it would be best if you can test the laptop with a Debian Live.This is a sure way, but would exclude those compatible after some hacking :-)*

Regards,

Andrei