Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Vivek Periaraj

Default nVidia with Optimus

Hi List,

I just bought a dell vostro 3750 and it has intel graphics and nVidia
525M. I am afraid it uses Optimus technology to switch between the two
of them. I looked around and found that there is no support for Optimus
in linux yet. And no promises of support in the future either.

The BIOS does not seem to have options to disable either of them. So am
I stuck with Intel and can't use nVidia at all?

Any comments from people who have bought a laptop with this feature?

The following proves Optimus in play. This is the only way to find out,
I guess.

$ lspci |grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0df5 (rev
a1)

Regards,
Vivek.

Archive: alpine.DEB.2.00.1104301444350.7638@xnqqnccn.tnynkl .pbz">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.2.00.1104301444350.7638@xnqqnccn.tnynkl .pbz

Old 04-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:50:52 +0530, Vivek Periaraj wrote:

> I just bought a dell vostro 3750 and it has intel graphics and nVidia
> 525M. I am afraid it uses Optimus technology to switch between the two
> of them. I looked around and found that there is no support for Optimus
> in linux yet. And no promises of support in the future either.

(...)

Ugh... it does not look very promising:

Will NVIDIA Optimus Inevitably Come To Linux?
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTM3NA

You may also find useful this blog which seems to be updated with the
latest news on the matter:

http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Vivek Periaraj

I just bought a dell vostro 3750 and it has intel graphics and nVidia
525M. I am afraid it uses Optimus technology to switch between the
two of them. I looked around and found that there is no support for
Optimus in linux yet. And no promises of support in the future
either.

(...)

Ugh... it does not look very promising:

Yep

Will NVIDIA Optimus Inevitably Come To Linux?
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTM3NA

It's surprising even nVidia is not able to support. The latest nVidia
driver - 270.40.1 - says it supports 525M. I guess that means it's
supported in a standalone mode albeit with Optimus.

The driver wouldn't even install on my machine. It just segfaults.

Unfortunately I am not able to use the latest xorg intel drivers (build
from git repos) as well. I am getting 'no devices detected'. I guess I
will have to wait for some more time.

Stuck with Vesa for now

You may also find useful this blog which seems to be updated with the
latest news on the matter:

http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the link.

I did install the latest nouveau, same 'no devices detected' message. I
think it will take a long time for the open source driver to mature. But
I don't mind testing their code.

Thanks,
Vivek.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:05 PM