Old 04-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Raffaele Morelli

Default Radeon X1550 64-bit

Hi,

I have serious problem with* my ATI RV505 CE [Radeon X1550 64-bit], DE freezes randomly and I can't understand the reason.
Here's my xorg.conf, any suggestion?

regads

Section "InputDevice"

******* Identifier***** "Generic Keyboard"
******* Driver********* "kbd"
******* Option********* "XkbRules"***** "xorg"
******* Option********* "XkbModel"***** "pc105"

******* Option********* "XkbLayout"**** "it"
EndSection

Section "Module"

******* #*** Load* "GLcore"
******* Load* "dbe"
******* Load* "dri2"

******* Load* "extmod"
******* Load* "glx"
******* Load* "record"
******* Load* "xtrap"
******* Load* "freetype"
******* Load* "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
******* Identifier***** "Configured Mouse"
******* Driver********* "mouse"
******* Option******* "Protocol" "auto"
******* Option******* "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

******* Option******* "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Device"
******* Identifier***** "Configured Video Device"
******* Driver********* "ati"

******* #Driver******** "radeon"
******* #river********* "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
******* Identifier***** "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

******* Identifier***** "Default Screen"
******* Monitor******** "Configured Monitor"
******* DefaultDepth**** 24
EndSection

--
L'unica speranza di catarsi, ammesso che ne esista una,
resta affidata all'istinto di ribellione, alla rivolta non isterilita

Old 04-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 30 apr 11, 09:42:15, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have serious problem with my ATI RV505 CE [Radeon X1550 64-bit], DE
> freezes randomly and I can't understand the reason.
> Here's my xorg.conf, any suggestion?

Assuming you run squeeze (you didn't specify) try this:

- make sure you have firmware-linux-nonfree installed
- (re)move xorg.conf to let X do the (auto-)configuration

If it still doesn't work please attach /var/log/Xorg.0.log to your next
message.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 04-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 09:42:15 +0200, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

> I have serious problem with my ATI RV505 CE [Radeon X1550 64-bit], DE
> freezes randomly and I can't understand the reason. Here's my xorg.conf,
> any suggestion?

You have to check if the freeze comes from X or is a kernel freeze. If you
can still login via ssh when the computer freezes, then the problem is
from X server.

Also, check your logs (syslog and xorg.0.log) for any abnormality.

(...)

> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> Driver "ati"
> #Driver "radeon"
> #river "vesa"
> EndSection

Did you get any gain when using different drivers?

P.S. Although is commented, vesa entry lacks the "D" for "Driver", care
with that.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Joe

Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have serious problem with my ATI RV505 CE [Radeon X1550 64-bit], DE
> freezes randomly and I can't understand the reason.

Have a look at the driver version. Version 1:6.14.1-1 of
xserver-xorg-video-radeon on 64 bit sid is broken. Mine does more than
freeze randomly, certain programs scramble the display instantly. I'm
using the previous 1:6.13.2-2 without problems.

Presumably my problem is one of these:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=xserver-xorg-video-radeon;dist=unstable

--
Joe

Old 05-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Raffaele Morelli

> I have serious problem with *my ATI RV505 CE [Radeon X1550 64-bit], DE

> freezes randomly and I can't understand the reason.

Have a look at the driver version. Version 1:6.14.1-1 of

xserver-xorg-video-radeon on 64 bit sid is broken. Mine does more than

freeze randomly, certain programs scramble the display instantly. I'm

using the previous 1:6.13.2-2 without problems.

Presumably my problem is one of these:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=xserver-xorg-video-radeon;dist=unstable

--

Joe

I can log from another pc* when the amd64 freeze, I am on debian testing and now I have downgraded to xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd 1:6.13.1 from squeeze.

The problem seems to be solved...

Regards
-raffaele