FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-30-2011, 02:21 AM
Dan
 
Default When to reboot after aptitude safe-upgrade?

Hi,
I would like to know when I have to reboot my server after doing
safe-upgrade with aptitude. I googled it and I didn't find a clear
answer. In my desktop there is a package called update-notifier-common
which has some scripts that write a file called
/var/run/reboot-required when a reboot is required.

I do not have that package in my server so that I can not check that
file to know if I have to reboot the system. I do not want to install
that package because I prefer to keep the server as clean as possible.
In the server there is no X-server, gnome, etc...

Then, when do I have to reboot? Only when I update the kernel?

Thanks,
Dan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTinWGJVuVV1Y2Mtaq+L=nVuP4hj-bg@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTinWGJVuVV1Y2Mtaq+L=nVuP4hj-bg@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-30-2011, 02:28 AM
Richard Hector
 
Default When to reboot after aptitude safe-upgrade?

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 22:21 -0400, Dan wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to know when I have to reboot my server after doing
> safe-upgrade with aptitude. I googled it and I didn't find a clear
> answer. In my desktop there is a package called update-notifier-common
> which has some scripts that write a file called
> /var/run/reboot-required when a reboot is required.
>
> I do not have that package in my server so that I can not check that
> file to know if I have to reboot the system. I do not want to install
> that package because I prefer to keep the server as clean as possible.
> In the server there is no X-server, gnome, etc...
>
> Then, when do I have to reboot? Only when I update the kernel?

The other reason might be updated libraries that are still in use by
running applications.

checkrestart from the debian-goodies is handy for checking that - it
will give you a list of what still has old libraries open, and
suggestions (not always the best ones) as to how to re-open them. If
there are lots, or you don't know how to (or can't) restart them, then
yes it might be easier to reboot.

Richard



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1304130525.6494.4.camel@zircon.lan.walnut.gen.nz"> http://lists.debian.org/1304130525.6494.4.camel@zircon.lan.walnut.gen.nz
 
Old 04-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Dan
 
Default When to reboot after aptitude safe-upgrade?

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 10:28 PM, Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 22:21 -0400, Dan wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I would like to know when I have to reboot my server after doing
>> safe-upgrade with aptitude. I googled it and I didn't find a clear
>> answer. In my desktop there is a package called update-notifier-common
>> which has some scripts that write a file called
>> /var/run/reboot-required when a reboot is required.
>>
>> I do not have that package in my server so that I can not check that
>> file to know if I have to reboot the system. I do not want to install
>> that package because I prefer to keep the server as clean as possible.
>> In the server there is no X-server, gnome, etc...
>>
>> Then, when do I have to reboot? Only when I update the kernel?
>
> The other reason might be updated libraries that are still in use by
> running applications.
>
> checkrestart from the debian-goodies is handy for checking that - it
> will give you a list of what still has old libraries open, and
> suggestions (not always the best ones) as to how to re-open them. If
> there are lots, or you don't know how to (or can't) restart them, then
> yes it might be easier to reboot.
>

That looks very handy. I should be possible to have the same result
using lsof, right? for example before installing the package check
lsof libray_from_package

Dan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTi==4kiciTLtnak_oeY8GoD9DUMY_Q@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTi==4kiciTLtnak_oeY8GoD9DUMY_Q@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-30-2011, 05:56 AM
Richard Hector
 
Default When to reboot after aptitude safe-upgrade?

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 22:43 -0400, Dan wrote:
> > checkrestart from the debian-goodies is handy for checking that - it
> > will give you a list of what still has old libraries open, and
> > suggestions (not always the best ones) as to how to re-open them. If
> > there are lots, or you don't know how to (or can't) restart them,
> then
> > yes it might be easier to reboot.
> >
>
> That looks very handy. I should be possible to have the same result
> using lsof, right? for example before installing the package check
> lsof libray_from_package

Possibly, although I've noticed that checkrestart doesn't work in a
vserver environment, whereas lsof does, so I guess it's doing something
that lsof doesn't.

Richard
(Please don't cc me BTW)



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1304143017.7829.1.camel@zircon.lan.walnut.gen.nz"> http://lists.debian.org/1304143017.7829.1.camel@zircon.lan.walnut.gen.nz
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org