FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Magnus Therning
 
Default Multiple Java installed, how to switch?

How do I make sure that all the java-related links in /etc/alternatives
are sane?

I installed icedtea, then purged it and installed sun-java5 and
sun-java6. Some links in /etc/alternatives are still pointing to the
(now non-existing) tools that came with icedtea. How do I easily switch
them to all point to the tools of a specific java package?

/M

--
Magnus Therning (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus*therning.org Jabber: magnus.therning*gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

What if I don't want to obey the laws? Do they throw me in jail with
the other bad monads?
-- Daveman
 
Old 02-10-2008, 07:26 PM
"Javier Vasquez"
 
Default Multiple Java installed, how to switch?

On 2/10/08, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
> How do I make sure that all the java-related links in /etc/alternatives
> are sane?
>
> I installed icedtea, then purged it and installed sun-java5 and
> sun-java6. Some links in /etc/alternatives are still pointing to the
> (now non-existing) tools that came with icedtea. How do I easily switch
> them to all point to the tools of a specific java package?
>
> /M
>
> --
> Magnus Therning (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)

Doesn't "dpkg --purge <old-package>" + "dpkg-reconfigure
<new-package>" take care of the links?

--
Javier


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Davide Mancusi
 
Default Multiple Java installed, how to switch?

Magnus Therning ha scritto:

How do I make sure that all the java-related links in /etc/alternatives
are sane?

I installed icedtea, then purged it and installed sun-java5 and
sun-java6. Some links in /etc/alternatives are still pointing to the
(now non-existing) tools that came with icedtea. How do I easily switch
them to all point to the tools of a specific java package?


That's weird. Does the following help?
# update-alternatives --config java
You might want to try also
# update-alternatives --auto java
and have a look at the other link groups related to java (man
update-alternatives).


HTH,
Davide

--
A tautology is a thing which is tautological.
--
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Александър Л. Димитров
 
Default Multiple Java installed, how to switch?

Quoth Davide Mancusi:
> Magnus Therning ha scritto:
>> How do I make sure that all the java-related links in /etc/alternatives
>> are sane?
>>
>> I installed icedtea, then purged it and installed sun-java5 and
>> sun-java6. Some links in /etc/alternatives are still pointing to the
>> (now non-existing) tools that came with icedtea. How do I easily switch
>> them to all point to the tools of a specific java package?
>
> That's weird. Does the following help?
> # update-alternatives --config java
> You might want to try also
> # update-alternatives --auto java
> and have a look at the other link groups related to java (man
> update-alternatives).

There also is 'update-java-alternatives'. Should do the same thing...

# update-java-alternatives -l
java-6-sun 63 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
java-gcj 1042 /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj
# update-java-alternatives -s java-gcj
#

this should take care of your problem.

Aleks
 
Old 02-11-2008, 06:17 AM
Magnus Therning
 
Default Multiple Java installed, how to switch?

Александър Л. Димитров wrote:
> Quoth Davide Mancusi:
>> Magnus Therning ha scritto:
>>> How do I make sure that all the java-related links in /etc/alternatives
>>> are sane?
>>>
>>> I installed icedtea, then purged it and installed sun-java5 and
>>> sun-java6. Some links in /etc/alternatives are still pointing to the
>>> (now non-existing) tools that came with icedtea. How do I easily switch
>>> them to all point to the tools of a specific java package?
>> That's weird. Does the following help?
>> # update-alternatives --config java
>> You might want to try also
>> # update-alternatives --auto java
>> and have a look at the other link groups related to java (man
>> update-alternatives).
>
> There also is 'update-java-alternatives'. Should do the same thing...
>
> # update-java-alternatives -l
> java-6-sun 63 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
> java-gcj 1042 /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj
> # update-java-alternatives -s java-gcj
> #
>
> this should take care of your problem.

Indeed it does :-) It was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for,
thanks!

/M

--
Magnus Therning (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus*therning.org Jabber: magnus.therning*gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

What if I don't want to obey the laws? Do they throw me in jail with
the other bad monads?
-- Daveman
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:08 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org