Old 04-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Nikolaus Rath

Default How to globally change GTK2 input method (was: Trouble entering composed characters)

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>> I have trouble entering keyboard compositions in many, but not all
>> applications. For example, when entering dead_iota + a (which I have
>> configured to give adiaresis in ~/.XCompose) gnome terminal just beeps
>> and does nothing. Other affected applications are gedit, icedove and
>> LibreOffice. Emacs, on the other hand, does not show any problems and
>> correctly inserts adiaresis.
>
> (...)
>
> All of the failing apps are GTK2+ based...

Eureka! When right clicking in a GTK2 text field and selecting "Input
Method -> X Input Method" it works! But how do I make this setting
permanent and the default for all applications and widgets? Iceweasel,
for example, doesn't show this context menu entry.

Thanks,

-Nikolaus

PGP fingerprint: 5B93 61F8 4EA2 E279 ABF6 02CF A9AD B7F8 AE4E 425C

Old 04-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 14:13:23 -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I have trouble entering keyboard compositions in many, but not all
>>> applications. For example, when entering dead_iota + a (which I have
>>> configured to give adiaresis in ~/.XCompose) gnome terminal just beeps
>>> and does nothing. Other affected applications are gedit, icedove and
>>> LibreOffice. Emacs, on the other hand, does not show any problems and
>>> correctly inserts adiaresis.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> All of the failing apps are GTK2+ based...
>
> Eureka! When right clicking in a GTK2 text field and selecting "Input
> Method -> X Input Method" it works! But how do I make this setting
> permanent and the default for all applications and widgets? Iceweasel,
> for example, doesn't show this context menu entry.

That seems to be in connection with Teemu's advice (XIM: "X Input
Method"). Try what he suggested :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón