Old 04-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Bruno Boettcher

Default How to have separate kbd layouts per usb-keyboards?

Hello,

seems i am unable to find the correct terms to get something useful
out of google....

i have the following problem: i am used to a german keyboard, my wife
to a french layout....

anyone who had to switch between those 2 will concur that the
respective other one is a real pain in the a..

so i installed for our media server 2 keyboards, one german, the other
french.... and now i am searching how to configure the machine to
allways assume german keyboard layout coming from a certain usb
device, and french from another... and am stuck since i didn't even
manage to get the beginning of a solution.....

i suppose it has something to do with udev, but otherwise...

--
ciao bboett

Old 04-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 19:42:30 +0200, Bruno Boettcher wrote:

(...)

> so i installed for our media server 2 keyboards, one german, the other
> french.... and now i am searching how to configure the machine to
> allways assume german keyboard layout coming from a certain usb
> device, and french from another... and am stuck since i didn't even
> manage to get the beginning of a solution.....

Why not adding an applet to the taskbar to change the keyboard layout on
user demand? Or better yet, why not having two separate accounts and a
different keyboard layout on each one set by default? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-29-2011, 08:07 PM

Bruno,

From: Bruno Boettcher <bboett@adlp.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 19:42:30 +0200
> ... installed for our media server 2 keyboards, one german, the other french ...

Seems a pity that a simple linguistic matter requires a
hardware solution. Dasher is a completely different solution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasher
Probably won't help in this case but might solve a similar
problem in another context.

Regards, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132. bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca

Old 04-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Vi, 29 apr 11, 19:42:30, Bruno Boettcher wrote:

> so i installed for our media server 2 keyboards, one german, the other
> french.... and now i am searching how to configure the machine to
> allways assume german keyboard layout coming from a certain usb
> device, and french from another... and am stuck since i didn't even
> manage to get the beginning of a solution.....

One way would be to run two instances of X, each with the respective
keyboard/layout combination. Not sure if this is feasible in your
situation though.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 04-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Roger Leigh

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 01:33:23PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Vi, 29 apr 11, 19:42:30, Bruno Boettcher wrote:
> >
> > so i installed for our media server 2 keyboards, one german, the other
> > french.... and now i am searching how to configure the machine to
> > allways assume german keyboard layout coming from a certain usb
> > device, and french from another... and am stuck since i didn't even
> > manage to get the beginning of a solution.....
>
> One way would be to run two instances of X, each with the respective
> keyboard/layout combination. Not sure if this is feasible in your
> situation though.

This is really a deficiency in the kernel input layer--it should be possible
to have a separate keymap for each input device, so that the multiplexed
input stream has the correct characters from each keyboard. Solutions
involving switching keymaps and multiple X servers is really just working
around this core defect.

Regards,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh

Old 04-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > One way would be to run two instances of X, each with the respective
> > keyboard/layout combination. Not sure if this is feasible in your
> > situation though.
>
> This is really a deficiency in the kernel input layer--it should be possible
> to have a separate keymap for each input device, so that the multiplexed

Each kernel input device has its own keymap. If anything is to blame
here, it is the X server.

What the kernel will not let you do is to have one (kernel) keymap for
each *user* of the same input device, i.e. it is global to that specific
device.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 04-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Martin

Bruno Boettcher <bboett@adlp.org> schrieb:

> so i installed for our media server 2 keyboards, one german, the other
> french.... and now i am searching how to configure the machine to
> allways assume german keyboard layout coming from a certain usb
> device, and french from another... and am stuck since i didn't even
> manage to get the beginning of a solution.....

If you're running Squeeze and if the keyboards have different USB IDs
Xserver Input hotplug could do what you want.
Have a look at INPUTCLASS SECTION in 'man xorg.conf'

I have a notebook with Swiss keyboard layout and a
USB keyboard with German layout.
I have the following file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-logitech-keyboard.conf
with the following lines:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Logitech Keyboard"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
MatchUSBID "046d:c30e"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
EndSection

The USBID is the one you get with lsusb.

If the IDs of your keyboards are different it should be possible to define
two entries with corresponding XkbLayout.

Cheers,
Martin