Old 04-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Camaleˇn

Default Trouble entering composed characters

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 09:14:55 -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> I have trouble entering keyboard compositions in many, but not all
> applications. For example, when entering dead_iota + a (which I have
> configured to give adiaresis in ~/.XCompose) gnome terminal just beeps
> and does nothing. Other affected applications are gedit, icedove and
> LibreOffice. Emacs, on the other hand, does not show any problems and
> correctly inserts adiaresis.

(...)

All of the failing apps are GTK2+ based... does it work with another
combination, let's say "<dead_iota> <Shift_L> <a>" (what I'm trying with
that is to find out a possible collision with another system-wide
predefined key combo).

Hum... maybe I'm guessing too much but, have you tried to setup an "us-
intl╣" keyboard layout? I say this because getting the diaeresis
characters (ń, ─, Ű, ╦...) is easier with it as there is no need to
define specific composing combination :-?

╣http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#US-International

Greetings,

--
Camaleˇn

Old 04-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Teemu Likonen

* 2011-04-29T09:14:55-04:00 * Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> I have trouble entering keyboard compositions in many, but not all
> applications. For example, when entering dead_iota + a (which I have
> configured to give adiaresis in ~/.XCompose) gnome terminal just beeps
> and does nothing.

I have noticed some GTK programs having this problem. They user
different input method by default. Try setting this environment
variable:

$ export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim

Then start those problematic applications from the shell. If it works
you could set the variable in /etc/environment file or alternatively
install package "im-switch". Then run command

$ im-switch

and select "Use xim (default-xim)" from the menu. The next X session
will have that input method (xim) enabled for GTK and QT applications.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Nikolaus Rath

Camaleˇn <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 09:14:55 -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>
>> I have trouble entering keyboard compositions in many, but not all
>> applications. For example, when entering dead_iota + a (which I have
>> configured to give adiaresis in ~/.XCompose) gnome terminal just beeps
>> and does nothing. Other affected applications are gedit, icedove and
>> LibreOffice. Emacs, on the other hand, does not show any problems and
>> correctly inserts adiaresis.
>
> (...)
>
> All of the failing apps are GTK2+ based... does it work with another
> combination, let's say "<dead_iota> <Shift_L> <a>" (what I'm trying with
> that is to find out a possible collision with another system-wide
> predefined key combo).

No, none of the composition sequences seem to work.

> Hum... maybe I'm guessing too much but, have you tried to setup an "us-
> intl╣" keyboard layout? I say this because getting the diaeresis
> characters (ń, ─, Ű, ╦...) is easier with it as there is no need to
> define specific composing combination :-?

When switching to us-intl, I can enter the characters with AltGr. But I
don't want to use that.

Best,

-Nikolaus

--
╗Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.ź

PGP fingerprint: 5B93 61F8 4EA2 E279 ABF6 02CF A9AD B7F8 AE4E 425C