Old 04-29-2011, 11:29 AM
David Baron

Default Dovecot Problems on Sid

Updating to the Sid version was a catastrophe--flagged all kinds of superseded syntax warning which were flagged as errors when I tried to edit them into the conf file. Commented out, got listening errors for various 9## ports.

So I downgraded to the testing version and used a backed up conf file.

No startup errors, dmesg, nothing, but "localhost refuses connection" when trying to access imap on the system. From outside, "server not found."

Nothing like this is listed in the bugs. Has anyone encountered such problems, fix them?

Old 04-30-2011, 07:59 PM
David Baron

On Friday 25 Nisan 5771 16:39:11 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:

> > Updating to the Sid version was a catastrophe--flagged all kinds of

> > superseded syntax warning which were flagged as errors when I tried to

> > edit them into the conf file. Commented out, got listening errors for

> > various 9## ports.

> >*

> > So I downgraded to the testing version and used a backed up conf file.

> >*

> > No startup errors, dmesg, nothing, but "localhost refuses connection"

> > when trying to access imap on the system. From outside, "server not

> > found."

> >*

> > Nothing like this is listed in the bugs. Has anyone encountered such

> > problems, fix them?

> I would start with the usual tests:

> http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation

Process is not running. There is no log entry after those listener errors (995 and 993) for the unstable install. The downgraded testing install has no entries at all.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:36 PM
David Baron

On Saturday 26 Nisan 5771 22:59:04 David Baron wrote:

> On Friday 25 Nisan 5771 16:39:11

> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org

> wrote:

> > > Updating to the Sid version was a catastrophe--flagged all kinds of

> > > superseded syntax warning which were flagged as errors when I tried to

> > > edit them into the conf file. Commented out, got listening errors for

> > > various 9## ports.

> > > So I downgraded to the testing version and used a backed up conf file.

> > > No startup errors, dmesg, nothing, but "localhost refuses connection"

> > > when trying to access imap on the system. From outside, "server not

> > > found."

> > > Nothing like this is listed in the bugs. Has anyone encountered such

> > > problems, fix them?

> > I would start with the usual tests:

> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation

> Process is not running. There is no log entry after those listener errors

> (995 and 993) for the unstable install. The downgraded testing install has

> no entries at all.

Problem is in all that inetd testing loop. Bypassing that, I actually get to the do_start. Listening to [::], I can start the daemon but cannot USE IT. Connection still refused. Listening to * (normal ivp4), I that "new" failure to listen to 993. Something else is already using it (995 would be the pop3 server).

Since I never had these problem before, what is going on now?

Old 05-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 23:36:35 +0300, David Baron wrote:

> On Saturday 26 Nisan 5771 22:59:04 David Baron wrote:

>> > I would start with the usual tests:
>> >
>> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation
>>
>> Process is not running. There is no log entry after those listener
>> errors (995 and 993) for the unstable install. The downgraded testing
>> install has no entries at all.
>
> Problem is in all that inetd testing loop. Bypassing that, I actually
> get to the do_start. Listening to [::], I can start the daemon but
> cannot USE IT. Connection still refused. Listening to * (normal ivp4), I
> that "new" failure to listen to 993. Something else is already using it
> (995 would be the pop3 server).
>
> Since I never had these problem before, what is going on now?

Run all of the avobe tests (the ones suggested at Dovecot's wiki) and put
here the results. It's still unclear where the problem is.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 AM
deloptes

David Baron wrote:

> Updating to the Sid version was a catastrophe--flagged all kinds of
> superseded syntax warning which were flagged as errors when I tried to
> edit them into the conf file. Commented out, got listening errors for
> various 9## ports.
>
> So I downgraded to the testing version and used a backed up conf file.
>
> No startup errors, dmesg, nothing, but "localhost refuses connection" when
> trying to access imap on the system. From outside, "server not found."
>
> Nothing like this is listed in the bugs. Has anyone encountered such
> problems, fix them?

I have just run an update and ended up with no working dovecot. Someone is
brainless - but definitely not me!

I've tried the quick config guide from dovecot webpage, but still nothing.
I have one process running and no imap/pop3 ports open

so is there a human usable step by step config guide, for a simple setup
with pam and local maildir?

regards

Old 05-14-2011, 11:13 AM
deloptes

Camaleón wrote:

> It's still unclear where the problem is.

Camaleón, it's pretty clear - someone is thinking with his/her ass instead
of his/her head

when you have fixed it let me know - I spent about 2hours now with this
shit, not working and I'm giving up. Even the information on the website is
not useful.

Someone using his/her head, please, write a useful and human understandable
guide to read before upgrading.

thanks and regards

Old 05-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Stan Hoeppner

On 5/14/2011 6:07 AM, deloptes wrote:

> Someone is brainless - but definitely not me!

deloptes@>yahoo.com<

Nope, definitely not you.

--
Stan

Old 05-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Stan Hoeppner

On 5/14/2011 6:13 AM, deloptes wrote:

> someone is thinking with his/her ass instead
> of his/her head

Your statement could very well be applied to occasional users who
attempt to install unstable software, i.e. yourself.

"sid" is subject to massive changes and in-place library updates. This
can result in a very "unstable" system which contains packages that
cannot be installed due to missing libraries, dependencies that cannot
be fulfilled etc. Use it at your own risk!

From: http://www.debian.org/releases/sid/

Your demonstrated frustration and cussing clearly demonstrate you are
*NOT* a proper candidate for using unstable packages. Do yourself and
us a favor and stick to stable.

If you *need* Dovecot 2 features that are not available in 1.2.15, wait
for the Squeeze backport or download the latest 2.x source tarball and
build it yourself, following the Dovecot docs, if you're up to the task.
I have the feeling you are not.

--
Stan

Old 05-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Ron Johnson

Someone is brainless - but definitely not me!

deloptes@>yahoo.com<

Nope, definitely not you.

That's pretty rude, and definitely uncalled for on a public list.

corrupt."

Archive: 4DCEC9E6.2020607@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DCEC9E6.2020607@cox.net

Old 05-14-2011, 07:25 PM
David Baron

On Saturday 10 Iyar 5771 15:26:42 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:

> > Updating to the Sid version was a catastrophe--flagged all kinds of

> > superseded syntax warning which were flagged as errors when I tried to

> > edit them into the conf file. Commented out, got listening errors for

> > various 9## ports.

> >*

> > So I downgraded to the testing version and used a backed up conf file.

> >*

> > No startup errors, dmesg, nothing, but "localhost refuses connection"

> > when trying to access imap on the system. From outside, "server not

> > found."

> >*

> > Nothing like this is listed in the bugs. Has anyone encountered such

> > problems, fix them?

> I have just run an update and ended up with no working dovecot. Someone is

> brainless - but definitely not me!

> I've tried the quick config guide from dovecot webpage, but still nothing.

> I have one process running and no imap/pop3 ports open

> so is there a human usable step by step config guide, for a simple setup

> with pam and local maildir?

Unfortunately, the maintainers changed the configurations to the "more modern/recent" conf.d directory script system without providing any script for transition and NO WARNING for apt-listchanges. To tell us to avoid "unstable" is no excuse, especially for the lack of notice.

The recourse is to

1. Make a copy of your current conf for reference.

2. reinstall, taking ALL the new package configs.

3. Then go to the conf.d scripts and replace items from your original conf.

10-mail.conf and 10-master.conf are the two which get a couple of things from your original. They are decently documented in place and the items look quite like the former versions.

If you are getting errors due to port addresses, then the imap and pop3 configs have place to replace those. Working defaults are shown in your original--dont ask why these were changed.

(Make sure that the old conf file is no longer in /etc/dovecot/ since the old and new are obviously incompatable.)