Old 04-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Default xmodmap per application

Old 04-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Old 04-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:45:31 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> Hi, is it possible to use xmodmap or a similar utility, on a per
> application basis?
>
> Currently I have redefined my keybindings using xmodmap to get my
> Logitech remote control working with MPlayer, but this breaks a lot of
> other applications!

Can xmodmap detect the application is being run and act accordingly? I
don't see how it could "filter" or "differentiate" the key remapping in
real time based on the app :-?

Instead, have you thought in solving the issue with the overlapping of
the mapped keys?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Siard

Camaleón wrote:
> Can xmodmap detect the application is being run and act accordingly?

I could only think of writing a script like this:

#! /bin/sh
xmodmap -e 'keycode 60 = F' & /usr/bin/<application>; xmodmap -e 'keycode 60 = period'

While the application is running, the '.' key produces an F;
after quitting the application, things are back to normal.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:24 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Jo, 28 apr 11, 23:37:00, Siard wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:
> > Can xmodmap detect the application is being run and act accordingly?
>
> I could only think of writing a script like this:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> xmodmap -e 'keycode 60 = F' & /usr/bin/<application>; xmodmap -e 'keycode 60 = period'
>
> While the application is running, the '.' key produces an F;
> after quitting the application, things are back to normal.

That works if one doesn't Alt+Tab to another application.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 04-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Old 04-30-2011, 02:11 AM
Richard Hector

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 16:45 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> Hi, is it possible to use xmodmap or a similar utility, on a per
> application basis?
>
> Currently I have redefined my keybindings using xmodmap to get my
> Logitech remote control working with MPlayer, but this breaks a lot of
> other applications!

I've never tried this, or any keyboard remapping that I can remember,
but it seems to me it might be better to do this on a per input device
basis rather than per application.

setxkbmap(1) looks like it might do the trick?

Richard