Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 AM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

Default How naked am I?

28/04/2011 09:45, pecondon@mesanetworks.net wrote:
> Day before yesterday (26 apr 2011) I installed newly released software on my wheezy computers on my home LAN. Yesterday,

I woke up to find that none of these computers could communicate with
my router (a DLink DI-604, no longer offered by DLink).
> I established that it was not bad cables by swapping cables. Every cable worked in some situation, but none worked when connected
>to the router. This has been working since early 2005, through many software upgrades, but yesterday not so great.
>
> Strange part of the problem is that an Apple AirPort which was also connected to the router for use by my daughter with her
> Mac laptop continued to function through multiple cable changes and power cyclings. But late afternoon, it also quit.
>
> I had been having some paranoid fears about the DLink router over the last month and decided to go out and buy a more modern
> home grade router at Best Buy (brand name Netgear, the box said it worked with Linux). I brought it home and more difficulties.
>These computers all have wheezy installed using a business card CD of squeeze. To change / fix /experiment with different software,
>I need a working Internet connection, but I can't configure my new router because I can't ping it. But the Apple AirPort seems to be
>happy with the new router without any configuration, so I try to install Squeeze on one of my computers and just using whatever DHCP
>gets found by the new router, or whatever resources the business-card CD can access.
>
> It works! My one computer gets loaded with Squeeze and allows me to log on to my ISP's web mail access to my email account via
>Iceweasel browser. So I can pester you wonderful people for help. My first issue is: I have done nothing about NAT or
> any sort of firewalling. Does the way I installed, using DHCP service from somewhere (perhaps coded into the busiCard CD??)
> Does that include firewalling by default? What do I have in the way of protection? Any?
>
> How do I discover what, exactly I have? Etc. How naked am I?
>
> Paul E Condon
> pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Hi, you are taking chances with spam filter with such a subject line !

My experience with Netgear home routers (currently a WNR3500L) suggest
you could start with 192.168.1.1 in you web browser, that should get you
to the config page of the router. Default user usually is "admin",
password is the same I think.

I don't think your problem lies with a firewall issue, there is none
activated on a standard Debian install if I recall correctly, and the
router default are rather permissive usually. Maybe you have fix ip
addresses in a wrong range on the other pc's, or a "gateway" statement
somewhere with a wrong ip for the new router ?

On your newly installed Squeeze computer the Debian installer used the
router dhcp server to get an ip address, it means this works fine. If
the other boxes can't get a proper IP it means they have a problem, not
the router.
If they are using wireless the other gotcha may be the various "security
association" features used by some routers, some kind of MAC address
filtering or "pairing" necessary ?

LAN connection problems aside, if you are worried about who could break
in you home network from the outside, look at what web-facing services
you are running, on which port(s). If none then you are fine, just
refrain from using the Adobe flash plugin ;-). Your router is most
probably doing NAT as a default.
You can also use an external port scanning service to test your router
settings like "ShieldsUP" from http://www.grc.com/ .

Old 04-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Lisi

On Thursday 28 April 2011 09:50:28 tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
> My experience with Netgear home routers (currently a WNR3500L) suggest
> you could start with 192.168.1.1 in you web browser, that should get you
> to the config page of the router.

Mine, a Netgear DG834GT, is 192.168.0.1. This has consistently been my
experience with Netgears. Maybe they have different defaults for different
countries?

Lisi

Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 AM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

Le 28/04/2011 11:27, Lisi a écrit :
> On Thursday 28 April 2011 09:50:28 tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
>> My experience with Netgear home routers (currently a WNR3500L) suggest
>> you could start with 192.168.1.1 in you web browser, that should get you
>> to the config page of the router.
>
> Mine, a Netgear DG834GT, is 192.168.0.1. This has consistently been my
> experience with Netgears. Maybe they have different defaults for different
> countries?
>
> Lisi

Highly possible, or they switch randomly from model to model, only they
know... So the OP could try both, and 10.0.0.1, 10.0.1.1 on top of that,
and he would stand a good chance to find the right one. As an alternate
he could save time by reading the specs maybe, by looking at the back of
my router I found a sticker with this :

Default access:
http://www.routerlogin.net
default user: admin
default password: password

;-)

Old 04-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 00:45:57 -0700, "" wrote:

(...)

> How do I discover what, exactly I have? Etc. How naked am I?

I don't get your worries about your "nudity" here :-)

If the computer cannot reach the router (no ping), just define a static
IP (usually in the form of 192.168.1.10, but review the manual of the
device to be in the same network the router is) and then open your
browser and jump to "192.168.1.1" which should be the default IP address
of the router.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-28-2011, 03:00 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

28/04/2011 15:57, pecondon@mesanetworks.net wrote:

> This morning, on this newly installed version of Squeeze, both 192.168.1.1
> and http://www.routerlogin.net worked at getting connected to the router.
>
> Yesterday, before the install of Squeeze neither worked.
>
> My puzzle is why the old install of Wheezy did not work, and failed with
> pretty much the same symptoms as I experienced with the old, DLink router.
>
> Keep in mind that the installation of this new software was done with a
> router that had not been configured by me in any particular whatsoever.
> I had never set it up with the parameters that were given to me by my ISP,
> or any of the old drill that I had come to believe was a necessary part of
> IP security. All that is gone, and replaced by something else. I'm hoping
> to find information about what broke my old router and forced me to install
> this new different software.
>
> Thanks, but the puzzle remains.

OK, if I get this correctly your old setup stopped working all of a
sudden, your tests showed that the old router was the culprit. Let's
assume your router suffered a hardware failure, if the airport base
(that I know nothing about) had kept working this would have hinted a
problem with the wheezy boxes, but since it went silent too let's assume
the router died.

Then you go on buying a new router, plug everything in and... nothing.
It means the wheezy boxes can't get an IP address from the router.
You install a new box, using the default installer dhcp setup, and it
works, it means the router dhcp server works OK, your wheezy boxes have
something in their configuration that prevent them from getting an IP
from the router.

How did the wheezy boxes connect to the router ? Do you use
network-manager, a custom /etc/network/interfaces file ? Could you post
that file and the result of

ifconfig -a (trim the mac "HWaddr" address if you want to be paranoid)

on the non connecting boxes ?

Old 04-30-2011, 02:00 AM
Richard Hector

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 12:22 +0200, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
> Le 28/04/2011 11:27, Lisi a écrit :
> > On Thursday 28 April 2011 09:50:28 tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
> >> My experience with Netgear home routers (currently a WNR3500L) suggest
> >> you could start with 192.168.1.1 in you web browser, that should get you
> >> to the config page of the router.
> >
> > Mine, a Netgear DG834GT, is 192.168.0.1. This has consistently been my
> > experience with Netgears. Maybe they have different defaults for different
> > countries?
> >
> > Lisi
> >

> Highly possible, or they switch randomly from model to model, only they
> know... So the OP could try both, and 10.0.0.1, 10.0.1.1 on top of that,
> and he would stand a good chance to find the right one. As an alternate
> he could save time by reading the specs maybe, by looking at the back of
> my router I found a sticker with this :
>
> Default access:
> http://www.routerlogin.net
> default user: admin
> default password: password

Or run 'netstat -nr' on the machine that works, and look for the next
hop for the default route:

richard@zircon:~$ netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
192.168.10.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
0.0.0.0 192.168.10.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

Richard