Old 04-28-2011, 04:55 AM
lina

Default locate something not exist

Hi,

when I located fglrx

which has been purged,

but it still showed me lots
such as

/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx.preinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-modules-dkms.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-modules-dkms.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-modules-dkms.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-modules-dkms.prerm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-source.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-source.md5sums
/var/lib/update-rc.d/fglrx-atieventsd

when I checked further, found

# more /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-source.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-source.md5sums: No such file or directory
# more /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-driver.preinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-driver.preinst: No such file or directory
# more /etc/modprobe.d/fglrx-driver.conf
/etc/modprobe.d/fglrx-driver.conf: No such file or director

so the "locate" has some problems?

--
Thanks and best regards,

lina

Old 04-28-2011, 05:06 AM

I believe you need to run

#updatedb

If I am not mistaken (updatedb may work for different search command if memory is faulty)

But if I'm not mistaken, updatedb will refresh the database locate uses to find results...

TeddyB

Old 04-28-2011, 05:09 AM
lina

Thanks,

it works,

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 1:06 PM, <teddieeb@tmo.blackberry.net> wrote:

> I believe you need to run
>
> #updatedb
>
> If I am not mistaken (updatedb may work for different search command if memory is faulty)
>
> But if I'm not mistaken, updatedb will refresh the database locate uses to find results...
>
> TeddyB

Thanks and best regards,

lina

Old 04-28-2011, 05:11 AM

Your welcome, glad I was actually able to help somebody ;P

TeddyB

> If I am not mistaken (updatedb may work for different search command if memory is faulty)
>
> But if I'm not mistaken, updatedb will refresh the database locate uses to find results...
>
> TeddyB

Thanks and best regards,

lina

Old 04-28-2011, 05:29 AM
Liam O'Toole

On 2011-04-28, teddieeb@tmo.blackberry.net <teddieeb@tmo.blackberry.net> wrote:

> I believe you need to run
>
> #updatedb
>
> If I am not mistaken (updatedb may work for different search command if memory is faulty)
>
> But if I'm not mistaken, updatedb will refresh the database locate uses to find results...

If you are unable to run updatedb, use 'locate -e' when searching. Then
only the names of files which still exist will be printed.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:48 AM
"Huang, Tao"

off-topic:

mlocate have some advantages over locate.
it does a partial scan on modified files only, which makes it's
updatedb much faster and disk friendly.

u may already be using it if u have it installed,
since mlocate has a higher score in the update-alternatives system
than the original locate.

Cheers,

Tao
--