Old 04-28-2011, 02:38 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Default Could not initiate GoogleTalkPlugin connection

In order to get the video chat facility in gmail chat, I downloaded the
plugin from http://www.google.com/chat/video?hl=en . The file name is
google-talkplugin_current_i386.deb .

$dpkg -l google* | grep ^ii
ii google-talkplugin 2.0.6.0-1 Google Talk
Plugin

However, when I start gmail in iceweasel (3.5.16-6), the console screen is
full of the following errors

028:683] Warning(clientchannel.cc:553): Unreadable or no port file. Could
not initiate GoogleTalkPlugin connection
[028:684] Warning(clientchannel.cc:396): Could not initiate GoogleTalkPlugin
connection
[028:684] Waiting for GoogleTalkPlugin to start...

Has anyone got the google talk plugin working in Debian? Any
ideas/suggestion/comments are most welcome.

thanks
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 AM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

28/04/2011 04:38, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> In order to get the video chat facility in gmail chat, I downloaded the
> plugin from http://www.google.com/chat/video?hl=en . The file name is
> google-talkplugin_current_i386.deb .
>
> $dpkg -l google* | grep ^ii
> ii google-talkplugin 2.0.6.0-1 Google Talk
> Plugin
>
> However, when I start gmail in iceweasel (3.5.16-6), the console screen is
> full of the following errors
>

> 028:683] Warning(clientchannel.cc:553): Unreadable or no port file. Could
> not initiate GoogleTalkPlugin connection
> [028:684] Warning(clientchannel.cc:396): Could not initiate GoogleTalkPlugin
> connection
> [028:684] Waiting for GoogleTalkPlugin to start...
>
> Has anyone got the google talk plugin working in Debian? Any
> ideas/suggestion/comments are most welcome.
>
> thanks

Hi, it's working here on a Wheezy amd64 and Iceweasel, it was working
previously on a Squeeze amd64. It is also working on a (K)ubuntu 10.10
laptop I have with Chromium.
The plug-in used to have issues with some video cards/drivers (AMD in my
experience), and is also picky about the webcams. Regarding network
requirements the plug-in works fine as long as you have web access
through the browser, it will scan for a zillion UDP and TCP high ports
(above 19000 here) which suggest it may work better if one of these
ports are open, but this should not be necessary since it works for me
without any kind of NAT redirection or port opening.

Googling your error message "Unreadable or no port file. Could > not
initiate GoogleTalkPlugin connection" gives a few hits, maybe you could
try google talk forum or help list ?