Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Sven Joachim

Default Broken insserv?

On 2011-04-27 22:47 +0200, Brad Alexander wrote:

> I just want to make sure this isn't a show stopper before I pull the
> trigger. I have mostly upgraded my daughter's netbook from lenny to squeeze.
> I took the conservative route, cleaning up packages, changing sources.list,
> doing an update and upgrade, upgrading the kernel and udev and rebooting.
> All I have left is the dist-upgrade...
>
> However, an apt-get -s dist-upgrade showed me repeated
>
> E: Conf Broken insserv
>
> messages. Is this a show-stopper or just a nuisance error message?

The latter. When you actually do the dist-upgrade, it will work (or at
least not hit this particular problem). The insserv package in squeeze
breaks the lenny sysv-rc package, while the squeeze sysv-rc package
depends on the new insserv -- a kind of dependency loop that requires
temporarily auto-deconfiguring sysv-rc.

Sven

Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Brad Alexander

Excellent. Thanks Sven. Should I then install insserv by hand before doing the dist-upgrade then?

--b

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87sjt3h0hb.fsf@turtle.gmx.de

Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-04-27 23:09 +0200, Brad Alexander wrote:

> Excellent. Thanks Sven. Should I then install insserv by hand before doing
> the dist-upgrade then?

No, this is not necessary.

Sven