Old 04-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Milos Negovanovic

Default installer, software raid and grub

Hi all,

Ive just performed squeeze install on a server with 2 drives
configured in RAID1. I followed closely installer messages and I don't
remember seeing GRUB being installed on /dev/sdb. For a split second
there was a message saying something about GRUB being installed on
/dev/sda ... and thats it. Basically if / is on software raid (linux md
raid) does installer install GRUB on all available hard drives? Do I
need to install GRUB manually on /dev/sdb? Idea is that if one of the
drives fail I can still use this system, which includes being able to
boot from either of the drives.

Regards
--
Milos Negovanovic
milos.negovanovic@gmail.com

Old 04-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Roger Leigh

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 08:33:29PM +0100, Milos Negovanovic wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ive just performed squeeze install on a server with 2 drives
> configured in RAID1. I followed closely installer messages and I don't
> remember seeing GRUB being installed on /dev/sdb. For a split second
> there was a message saying something about GRUB being installed on
> /dev/sda ... and thats it. Basically if / is on software raid (linux md
> raid) does installer install GRUB on all available hard drives? Do I
> need to install GRUB manually on /dev/sdb? Idea is that if one of the
> drives fail I can still use this system, which includes being able to
> boot from either of the drives.

Just dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc and select all the drives to boot from.

Note if you used gpt partition tables, grub will need a tiny boot
partition to install itself on (bios_grub). Example from parted:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1.00MiB 5.00MiB 4.00MiB grub bios_grub
2 5.00MiB 953867MiB 953862MiB btrfs btrfsraid
3 953867MiB 1907728MiB 953861MiB mdraid raid

All the main Linux partitions are then on LVM on the mdraid RAID1
device. The other disc is partitioned identically.

Annoyingly, the installer partitioner is not currently intelligent
enough to set up the bios_grub partition by default, so you have to do
it my hand in parted.

Regards,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh

Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Milos Negovanovic
<milos.negovanovic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ive just performed squeeze install on a server with 2 drives
> configured in RAID1. I followed closely installer messages and I don't
> remember seeing GRUB being installed on /dev/sdb. For a split second
> there was a message saying something about GRUB being installed on
> /dev/sda ... and thats it. Basically if / is on software raid (linux md
> raid) does installer install GRUB on all available hard drives? Do I
> need to install GRUB manually on /dev/sdb? Idea is that if one of the
> drives fail I can still use this system, which includes being able to
> boot from either of the drives.

In my experience, it isn't installed on both by default (although I'm
sure that someone'll tell us both that you have that option with an
expert install) and you have to install it manually on sdb.