Old 04-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Wolfgang Karall

Default xmodmap settings are forgotten/lost during session

Hello,

after upgrading my Debian sid machine to the latest packages (see list
below according to dpkg.log) I lost my F19/F20 mapping done via xmodmap
for the Forward/Back keys of my notebook.

After investigation the issue I ran

xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

on my settings manually and it worked, but after a while (since I don't
use those keys anywhere apart from the browser I don't quite tell how
much time passed) the keys stopped working again, also

xmodmap -pke

didn't list the key mappings any longer. And this happens all the time,
I can set up the mappings, but after a while they're gone. Nothing
special seem to trigger this (not resuming from S3, for example), just
time passing long enough seems to make something on my system reset the
mappings.

I'm not sure what might be the culprit here, and I don't quite know how
to debug this (there's no way to listen to this kind of reconfiguration
event I guess?), does anybody here have an idea if the latest XFCE
updates might be the cause?

Cheers
Wolfgang

PS: the list of packages that got upgraded after which the problem
started showing up, most are probably completely unrelated:

audacity
audacity-data
binutils
bluez-hcidump
bzr
ca-certificates
concordance
cpp-4.5
cups-pdf
curl
dbus
dbus-x11
debhelper
desktop-file-utils
diffpdf
djvulibre-bin
exo-utils
ftp
fuse-utils
g++-4.5
gcc-4.5
gcc-4.5-base
gcc-4.6-base
ghostscript
ghostscript-cups
ghostscript-x
gnokii
gnokii-cli
gnokii-common
gnome-keyring
gnome-menus
gs-common
gs-gpl
gtk2-engines-xfce
hicolor-icon-theme
initramfs-tools
install-info
libboost-filesystem1.46.1
libboost-regex1.46.1
libboost-system1.46.1
libconcord2
libcurl3
libcurl3-gnutls
libdb4.6
libdb4.7
libdb4.8
libdb5.1
libdbus-1-3
libdjvulibre21
libdjvulibre-text
libexo-1-0
libexo-common
libextutils-depends-perl
libfuse2
libgarcon-1-0
libgarcon-common
libgcc1
libgck0
libgcr-3-0
libgfortran3
libglib2.0-0
libgnokii6
libgnome-keyring0
libgomp1
libgs9
libgs9-common
libgudev-1.0-0
libhtml-tree-perl
libkeybinder0
liblucene2-java
libmediainfo0
libnet-domain-tld-perl
libnet-http-perl
libpam-gnome-keyring
libperl5.10
libpolkit-agent-1-0
libpolkit-backend-1-0
libpolkit-gobject-1-0
libpq5
libpython2.6
libquadmath0
libquvi0
libreadline5
libreadline6
libsqlite3-0
libstdc++6
libstdc++6-4.5-dev
libtasn1-3
libthunar-vfs-1-2
libthunar-vfs-1-common
libthunarx-2-0
libudev0
libwireshark0
libwireshark-data
libwiretap0
libwsutil0
libxfce4ui-1-0
libxfce4util4
libxfce4util-common
libxfcegui4-4
libxfconf-0-2
lintian
linux-headers-2.6.38-2-686
linux-headers-2.6.38-2-common
linux-image-2.6.38-2-686
linux-libc-dev
man-db
mediainfo
menu
mkvtoolnix
mkvtoolnix-gui
orage
pcmciautils
perl
perl-base
perl-modules
perl-suid
policykit-1
python2.6
python2.6-minimal
python-argparse
python-bzrlib
python-cairo
python-central
python-gconf
python-glade2
python-gnome2
python-gtk2
python-pyorbit
python-support
rdesktop
readline-common
shared-mime-info
sqlite3
sshfp
stunnel4
sun-java6-bin
sun-java6-jre
sun-java6-plugin
thunar
thunar-data
thunar-volman
tnef
tzdata
tzdata-java
ucf
udev
virtualbox-4.0
wireshark
wireshark-common
xfce4
xfce4-appfinder
xfce4-artwork
xfce4-clipman
xfce4-clipman-plugin
xfce4-mixer
xfce4-panel
xfce4-session
xfce4-settings
xfce4-utils
xfce4-volumed
xfce4-xkb-plugin
xfce-keyboard-shortcuts
xfconf
xfdesktop4
xfdesktop4-data
xfprint4
xfwm4
xfwm4-themes
xgnokii
x-ttcidfont-conf

Old 04-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Steve Kleene

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 21:20:46 +0200, Wolfgang Karall wrote:

> after upgrading ... I lost my F19/F20 mapping done via xmodmap

About a week ago my ~/.Xmodmap, which turns off Caps Lock, started being
ignored. It is not even accessed (as judged by ls -lu) when I start X.

According to the report for bug 622185, this happened when xkb-data was
upgraded from 1.8-2 to 2.1-2. Since you don't list xkb-data among your
upgraded packages, maybe this is irrelevant to your problem.

For my problem, the workaround was to add this to ~/.xinitrc:

setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocaps

There may be a similar workaround for your situation.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:39 AM
Wolfgang Karall

Hello,

On 04/28/2011 02:06 AM, Steve Kleene wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 21:20:46 +0200, Wolfgang Karall wrote:
>
>> after upgrading ... I lost my F19/F20 mapping done via xmodmap
>
> About a week ago my ~/.Xmodmap, which turns off Caps Lock, started being
> ignored. It is not even accessed (as judged by ls -lu) when I start X.

The problem is not so much that ~/.Xmodmap is not read when X starts (I
could work around that I guess), but that the mappings I have set up
with xmodmap are vanishing while I'm using my notebook.

So something resets my mappings on a more or less regular basis (I'll
probably set up a cronjob with xmodmap -pke to find out some timing
here) without me ever telling my system to do so.

Cheers
Wolfgang

Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Wolfgang Karall

Hello,

trying to investigate this further, I set up a Cron job running every
minute executing the following commands:

DISPLAY=:0.0 xmodmap > /dev/null 2>&1 &&
DISPLAY=:0.0 xmodmap -pke | grep -q F19 || echo xmodmap gone &&
DISPLAY=:0.0 xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

I.e. I check whether my mapping for F19 is still and generate some
output to get an email from Cron every time the settings are gone,
reloading the settings in the last line. The first is just a check
whether there's actually a X11 session on the first DISPLAY.

And I get a regular pattern, exactly every 10 minutes my xmodmap
settings get flushed. Of course I searched for other Cron jobs, but to
no avail.

What else could reset my keyboard settings every 10 minutes? Or has
anyone an idea how to debug this further?

Cheers
Wolfgang

Old 09-07-2011, 04:01 PM
yaya

Wolfgang Karall <lists+debian-user <at> karall-edv.at> writes:

> Hello,
>
> trying to investigate this further, I set up a Cron job running every
> minute executing the following commands:
>
> DISPLAY=:0.0 xmodmap > /dev/null 2>&1 &&
> DISPLAY=:0.0 xmodmap -pke | grep -q F19 || echo xmodmap gone &&
> DISPLAY=:0.0 xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
>
> I.e. I check whether my mapping for F19 is still and generate some
> output to get an email from Cron every time the settings are gone,
> reloading the settings in the last line. The first is just a check
> whether there's actually a X11 session on the first DISPLAY.
>
> And I get a regular pattern, exactly every 10 minutes my xmodmap
> settings get flushed. Of course I searched for other Cron jobs, but to
> no avail.
>
> What else could reset my keyboard settings every 10 minutes? Or has
> anyone an idea how to debug this further?
>
> Cheers
> Wolfgang

a few months later... but perhaps it'll be archived and useful to someone.

I have the exact same symptoms on my box based on xfce 4, the culprit
is a panel plugin xfc4-xkb-plugin 0.5.4.1-1, which I use to switch between
languages. it resets the layout every 10 minutes.

from the README:
Known limitations and bugs
==========================

Currently if one sets any Xkb options, besides the grp: ones
they will be lost the next time the plugin is started. Even
more - only the first grp: option present in the running
configuration will be stored in the config file and thus only
it will be restored the next time the plugin is started. This
will be resolved in future versions.

the README also mentions an undocumented (well...) config file option
called

I edited the file which on my machine was found at:
~/.config/xfce4/panel/xkb-plugin-??.rc

and changed the 'never_modify_config' option to true. i then 'kill -9'
the xfce4-xkb-plugin process which respawned and reloaded the conf file.

the problem disappeared, I can manage keyboard layouts through
the xfc4 settings/keyboard menu, and still switch languages
using the xkb panel plugin.