Old 02-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Peter Robinson

Default Can print from KPDF but not Acrobat

Hi all,

I don't seem to have set up printing correctly...I am running a testing
system and can print fine from KPDF but attempting to print from Acrobat
returns the error message:
"The print process returns an error. Please check if the printer is
connected to the machine" (it is!).
I have seen that a few others had this problem on this list but was not
able to find a solution. I am using Acrobat reader 8.1

Thanks, Peter

Old 02-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Alan Ianson

On Sun February 10 2008 08:27:11 am Peter Robinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I don't seem to have set up printing correctly...I am running a testing
> system and can print fine from KPDF but attempting to print from Acrobat
> returns the error message:
> "The print process returns an error. Please check if the printer is
> connected to the machine" (it is!).
> I have seen that a few others had this problem on this list but was not
> able to find a solution. I am using Acrobat reader 8.1

I think acroread requires cupsys-bsd, is it installed?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Peter Robinson

Alan Ianson wrote:

I don't seem to have set up printing correctly...I am running a testing
system and can print fine from KPDF but attempting to print from Acrobat
returns the error message:
"The print process returns an error. Please check if the printer is
connected to the machine" (it is!).
I have seen that a few others had this problem on this list but was not
able to find a solution. I am using Acrobat reader 8.1

I think acroread requires cupsys-bsd, is it installed?

Thanks, that solved the problem!
-cheers, peter

Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Alan Ianson

On Mon February 11 2008 01:34:09 pm Peter Robinson wrote:
> Alan Ianson wrote:
> > On Sun February 10 2008 08:27:11 am Peter Robinson wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I don't seem to have set up printing correctly...I am running a testing
> >> system and can print fine from KPDF but attempting to print from Acrobat
> >> returns the error message:
> >> "The print process returns an error. Please check if the printer is
> >> connected to the machine" (it is!).
> >> I have seen that a few others had this problem on this list but was not
> >> able to find a solution. I am using Acrobat reader 8.1
> >
> > I think acroread requires cupsys-bsd, is it installed?
>
> Thanks, that solved the problem!

I thought it would. Have you had a look at evince in testing? You can edit and
print pdf files with it, even on amd64..

Old 02-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Alan Ianson wrote:

> On Mon February 11 2008 01:34:09 pm Peter Robinson wrote:
>> Alan Ianson wrote:

>> > I think acroread requires cupsys-bsd, is it installed?
>>
>> Thanks, that solved the problem!
>
> I thought it would. Have you had a look at evince in testing? You can edit
> and print pdf files with it, even on amd64..

Assuming that most users would like to print pdf files at some point of
time, should not it be in Depends or Recommends field then?

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 PM
"Alan Ianson"

On Feb 12, 2008 12:06 PM, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> wrote:

> Alan Ianson wrote:

> >> Thanks, that solved the problem!
> >
> > I thought it would. Have you had a look at evince in testing? You can edit
> > and print pdf files with it, even on amd64..
>

> Assuming that most users would like to print pdf files at some point of
> time, should not it be in Depends or Recommends field then?

I would say it is a recommended package at least, but I am not in a
position to do that myself.