Old 02-10-2008, 01:16 AM
"Javier Vasquez"

Default Something wrong with udev / usb?

On Feb 9, 2008 8:12 PM, Javier Vasquez <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using kernels 2.6.23 and 2.6.24 (debian stock), and on them I
> can't get my usb external disk to work. There's no /dev/sd* device
> showing up, although I have ehci-hcd and uhci-hcd modules up, I also
> installed usb_storage and usbatm modules just in case, but nothing...
>
> This used to work automatically with udev before (as soon as I
> connected the usb device, I got /dev/sda or /dev/sa1, not sure which).
> I'm not sure with which kernel this stopped working. The ones I have
> available are just these 2 I mentioned...
>
> Can anyone enlighten me please?

I forgto to mention I live under unstable, .

--
Javier

Old 02-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Alan Ianson

On Sat February 9 2008 06:12:18 pm Javier Vasquez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using kernels 2.6.23 and 2.6.24 (debian stock), and on them I
> can't get my usb external disk to work. There's no /dev/sd* device
> showing up, although I have ehci-hcd and uhci-hcd modules up, I also
> installed usb_storage and usbatm modules just in case, but nothing...

I've noticed this too with testing when I plug a usb drive into the front
plugs on my box. I added the device to /etc/fstab and after that it works as
expected. I'm not sure why that is. Only one of my drives does this and I
don't use it often so I haven't looked any further.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:17 AM
"Javier Vasquez"

On Feb 9, 2008 8:31 PM, Alan Ianson <agianson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat February 9 2008 06:12:18 pm Javier Vasquez wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using kernels 2.6.23 and 2.6.24 (debian stock), and on them I
> > can't get my usb external disk to work. There's no /dev/sd* device
> > showing up, although I have ehci-hcd and uhci-hcd modules up, I also
> > installed usb_storage and usbatm modules just in case, but nothing...
>
> I've noticed this too with testing when I plug a usb drive into the front
> plugs on my box. I added the device to /etc/fstab and after that it works as
> expected. I'm not sure why that is. Only one of my drives does this and I
> don't use it often so I haven't looked any further.
>

> > This used to work automatically with udev before (as soon as I
> > connected the usb device, I got /dev/sda or /dev/sa1, not sure which).
> > I'm not sure with which kernel this stopped working. The ones I have
> > available are just these 2 I mentioned...
> >
> > Can anyone enlighten me please?

Hmm, I do have entry points on my /etc/fstab for the usb device, but
of course they depend on the devices been mapped to /dev/sd*. The
problem is that there's no /dev/sd* at all, so the mount entries I
have under /etc/fstab are useless (of course if they are tried, the
error about the "/dev/sd*" not present will immediately show up,
that's how I found this)... The problem is not a renaming one either,
since there's no device to pick...

Thanks,

--
Javier

Old 02-10-2008, 02:30 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-10-2008, 02:47 AM
"Javier Vasquez"

On Feb 9, 2008 9:30 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On 02/09/08 20:12, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using kernels 2.6.23 and 2.6.24 (debian stock), and on them I
> > can't get my usb external disk to work. There's no /dev/sd* device
> > showing up, although I have ehci-hcd and uhci-hcd modules up, I also
> > installed usb_storage and usbatm modules just in case, but nothing...
> >
> > This used to work automatically with udev before (as soon as I
> > connected the usb device, I got /dev/sda or /dev/sa1, not sure which).
> > I'm not sure with which kernel this stopped working. The ones I have
> > available are just these 2 I mentioned...
> >
> > Can anyone enlighten me please?
>
> What DE are you running? What does "#tail -f /var/log/syslog" look
> like when you insert the USB cable (and, obviously, the external
> drive is powered up).
>
> - --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA USA

Did it twice, and I got:

Feb 9 21:43:14 jevv kernel: usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using
ehci_hcd and address 8
Feb 9 21:44:23 jevv kernel: usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using
ehci_hcd and address 10

Sorry I didn't get what DE means, ... I mentioned in another e-mail
I'm running under unstable, is that what you asked?

Thanks,

--
Javier

Old 02-10-2008, 05:35 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:12:18PM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using kernels 2.6.23 and 2.6.24 (debian stock), and on them I
> can't get my usb external disk to work. There's no /dev/sd* device
> showing up, although I have ehci-hcd and uhci-hcd modules up, I also
> installed usb_storage and usbatm modules just in case, but nothing...
>
> This used to work automatically with udev before (as soon as I
> connected the usb device, I got /dev/sda or /dev/sa1, not sure which).
> I'm not sure with which kernel this stopped working. The ones I have
> available are just these 2 I mentioned...

Do you see the device in lsusb ? If not, don't blame udev . Do you see
its partitions in /proc/partitions ?

You also mentioned a frontconnector. At least in some systems that
connector is bad. In some systems it is unmasked, and therefore has
lower speed. In a few other systems (like some VIA systems we have at
work) it it a reboot swtich - you plug anything to the USB, and the
system reboots.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 02-10-2008, 06:23 AM
Ron Johnson

On 02/09/08 21:47, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2008 9:30 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>>

>> On 02/09/08 20:12, Javier Vasquez wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using kernels 2.6.23 and 2.6.24 (debian stock), and on them I
>>> can't get my usb external disk to work. There's no /dev/sd* device
>>> showing up, although I have ehci-hcd and uhci-hcd modules up, I also
>>> installed usb_storage and usbatm modules just in case, but nothing...
>>>
>>> This used to work automatically with udev before (as soon as I
>>> connected the usb device, I got /dev/sda or /dev/sa1, not sure which).
>>> I'm not sure with which kernel this stopped working. The ones I have
>>> available are just these 2 I mentioned...
>>>
>>> Can anyone enlighten me please?
>> What DE are you running? What does "#tail -f /var/log/syslog" look
>> like when you insert the USB cable (and, obviously, the external
>> drive is powered up).
>>

> Did it twice, and I got:
>
> Feb 9 21:43:14 jevv kernel: usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 8
> Feb 9 21:44:23 jevv kernel: usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 10
>
> Sorry I didn't get what DE means, ... I mentioned in another e-mail
> I'm running under unstable, is that what you asked?

Desktop Environment. GNOME, KDE, XFce, etc.

Are hald & udevd running? If you run GNOME, are gnome-mount &
gnome-volume-manager installed?

Attached is what my logs generate when I install a thumb drive.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Feb 10 01:14:35 haggis kernel: usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Feb 10 01:14:35 haggis kernel: usb 1-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Feb 10 01:14:41 haggis kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Feb 10 01:14:41 haggis kernel: scsi10 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Feb 10 01:14:41 haggis kernel: usb-storage: device found at 3
Feb 10 01:14:41 haggis kernel: usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
Feb 10 01:14:41 haggis kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
Feb 10 01:14:41 haggis kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
Feb 10 01:14:46 haggis kernel: scsi 10:0:0:0: Direct-Access MicroAdv QuickiDrive64M 2.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Feb 10 01:14:47 haggis kernel: ready
Feb 10 01:14:47 haggis kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] 128000 512-byte hardware sectors (66 MB)
Feb 10 01:14:47 haggis kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
Feb 10 01:14:47 haggis kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
Feb 10 01:14:47 haggis kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
Feb 10 01:14:47 haggis kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] 128000 512-byte hardware sectors (66 MB)
Feb 10 01:14:47 haggis kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
Feb 10 01:14:47 haggis kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
Feb 10 01:14:47 haggis kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
Feb 10 01:14:47 haggis kernel: sdc: sdc1
Feb 10 01:14:47 haggis kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
Feb 10 01:14:47 haggis kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
Feb 10 01:14:47 haggis kernel: usb-storage: device scan complete
Feb 10 01:15:00 haggis hald: mounted /dev/sdc1 on behalf of uid 1000

usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
usb-storage: device found at 4
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
scsi 11:0:0:0: Direct-Access MicroAdv QuickiDrive64M 2.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
ready
sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] 128000 512-byte hardware sectors (66 MB)
sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] 128000 512-byte hardware sectors (66 MB)
sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
sdc: sdc1
sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
sd 11:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

Old 02-10-2008, 06:39 AM
"Javier Vasquez"

On Feb 10, 2008 12:35 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:12:18PM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using kernels 2.6.23 and 2.6.24 (debian stock), and on them I
> > can't get my usb external disk to work. There's no /dev/sd* device
> > showing up, although I have ehci-hcd and uhci-hcd modules up, I also
> > installed usb_storage and usbatm modules just in case, but nothing...
> >
> > This used to work automatically with udev before (as soon as I
> > connected the usb device, I got /dev/sda or /dev/sa1, not sure which).
> > I'm not sure with which kernel this stopped working. The ones I have
> > available are just these 2 I mentioned...
>
> Do you see the device in lsusb ? If not, don't blame udev . Do you see
> its partitions in /proc/partitions ?
>
> You also mentioned a frontconnector. At least in some systems that
> connector is bad. In some systems it is unmasked, and therefore has
> lower speed. In a few other systems (like some VIA systems we have at
> work) it it a reboot swtich - you plug anything to the USB, and the
> system reboots.
>
> --
> Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is

Actually yes, under lsusb I see:

# lsusb
usb 4-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 24
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

But under /proc/partitions I didn't see any sd* partitions, just the hd* ones...

See that the manufacturer was not properly recognized though...

BTW, I was not using front connector, I'm sorry if I gave you that
impression. I use a dell 600M inspiron laptop which comes with 2 back
connectors only...

Good news, is that without doing anything (not even rebooting), now I
tried again and I see /dev/sda and /dev/sda1, and I can mount them as
usual... I can't say what happened then, which I don't really like
it... When things work, this is lsusb:

# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 022: ID 1058:0403 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Seems that I need to be trying the external usb disk more often these
days to see if this weird behavior happens again...

Any ways, the ghosts seem to be gone at least for now, .

Thanks a lot,

Javier.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:47 AM
"Javier Vasquez"

On Feb 10, 2008 1:23 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 02/09/08 21:47, Javier Vasquez wrote:

> >> What DE are you running? What does "#tail -f /var/log/syslog" look
> >> like when you insert the USB cable (and, obviously, the external
> >> drive is powered up).
> >>

> > Did it twice, and I got:
> >
> > Feb 9 21:43:14 jevv kernel: usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using
> > ehci_hcd and address 8
> > Feb 9 21:44:23 jevv kernel: usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using
> > ehci_hcd and address 10
> >
> > Sorry I didn't get what DE means, ... I mentioned in another e-mail
> > I'm running under unstable, is that what you asked?
>
> Desktop Environment. GNOME, KDE, XFce, etc.

None. I use plane console, or X+fluxbox, nothing more, .

> Are hald & udevd running? If you run GNOME, are gnome-mount &
> gnome-volume-manager installed?

Just udev, nothing more. I was thinking on adding usbmount, although
if udev is in charge of the getting the devices, I really didn't see
the need for usbmount (I mount the device manually after connected,
and after seeing the dev's mapped if under the console). I might
consider using usbmount later, .

> Attached is what my logs generate when I install a thumb drive.

Thanks a lot. As I mentioned in previous mail, things seem to work
now. Although I nedd to keep trying in case the ghosts are still
around, ...

> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.

Javier