Old 04-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Тира Шюпаст

Default Bugreport: "Netinstall DVD"? debian-testing-amd64-DVD-1.iso 18-Apr-2011

Hi.
I am new at sending bug reports to Debian, so please bear with me, and my English too.

I have found a possibly "grave" bug in a weekly dvd iso distribution of Debian Wheezy.
The problem is that the system can not be installed on my Compaq Presario CQ61 notebook.

The only custom setting I made is to give debian only /dev/sda1 partition instead of the whole hard drive.
Even with the default settings, installation ends up with "The 'grub-pc' package failed to install into /target/."

Many other settings (including expert mode ones) I've tried lead to the same end.
That's already a "grave" bug, in my opinion.

Then I tried to get into installed system using "Rescue mode" of the installation dvd, but that system does not contain "grub-install" utility.

Then I tried more:
1. I used another liveCD to put "debian-testing-amd64-DVD-1.iso" on the hard drive and edited "/etc/apt/sources.list" to use that iso as a file repository with "mount -o loop".

2. I booted to "Rescue mode" of Debian installation DVD and made some chroot preparations:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev

chroot /mnt /bin/bash
mkdir /dvd
mount -o loop /debian.iso /dvd

3 I installed new grub as I can
apt-get update
apt-get install grub-pc (that launched grub-install)
grub-mkconfig > /boot/grub/menu.lst

This made a bootable, but generally unusable buggy system.
It doesn't bring up network interface on boot. I have to do "ifup eth0" manually despite the settings of /etc/network/interfaces
It cannot bring up my wifi adapter at all. Even with "wireless-tools" and "wpasupplicant" installed and configured (using config files from my previous Debian Squeeze installation), i can't even see it in "ifconfig -a" listing. In Squeeze that card worked fine.

When i tried to "aptitude install xserver-xorg kdm kdebase", X didn't start. I couldn't find any useful information in /var/log/Xorg.0.log - X seems* to have "Segmentation fault" for no reason.

So I don't have information about desktop envoronment bugs, because I've stopped at that point.
There are also some problems with localization in console I never experienced with Squeeze.
I think there's something wrong with the initial settings of the system.

Please do not tell me that the only way is to connect to the Internet. I have good Internet connection through ISP's pptp service. It can't be set up during Debian installation.

I need a distro which can be installed.

At least,* please give me a working step-by-step manual how to prorperly install Wheezy from its installation DVD.

Best regards, Tigran.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Jochen Schulz

Тира Шюпаст:

> I am new at sending bug reports to Debian, so please bear with me, and my
> English too.

No problem. You just need to know that this list is not the right place
to report bugs to Debian Developers, that's what the BTS is for
(bugs.debian.org). But anyway, you mail's content suits this list very
well.

> The problem is that the system can not be installed on my Compaq Presario
> CQ61 notebook.

Bugs about failed installations should be reported against the
pseudo-package debian-installer. The wheezy installer is probably
expected to be quite unstable these days as squeeze has just been
released a few weeks ago. If you need a stable release, pick squeeze.

That doesn't have to keep you from trying wheezy, of course. But if it
fails, please try to be constructive instead of demanding.

> The only custom setting I made is to give debian only /dev/sda1 partition
> instead of the whole hard drive.
> Even with the default settings, installation ends up with "The 'grub-pc'
> package failed to install into /target/."

During installation you can switch to alternate VTs using Alt-F<x>,
where <x> is a number from 1-6. One of the consoles should contain an
error message which would help in diagnosing the problem.

> Then I tried to get into installed system using "Rescue mode" of the
> installation dvd, but that system does not contain "grub-install" utility.

If grub failed to install during system installation, a missing
grub-install doesn't surprise me. What you could try is installing
the deb file for grub from the installation DVD after chrooting to your
new system.

> 3 I installed new grub as I can
> apt-get update
> apt-get install grub-pc (that launched grub-install)

Oh, you already did that. Great!

> grub-mkconfig > /boot/grub/menu.lst

Menu.lst is grub-legacy, you need a /boot/grub/grub.cfg. You can
regenerate is by running update-grub (as with grub-legacy).

> This made a bootable, but generally unusable buggy system.
> It doesn't bring up network interface on boot. I have to do "ifup eth0"
> manually despite the settings of /etc/network/interfaces

Ok, that's a separate issue. Please try to use one thread per issue,
that makes it easier for people to follow / ignore topics.

> It cannot bring up my wifi adapter at all. Even with "wireless-tools" and
> "wpasupplicant" installed and configured (using config files from my
> previous Debian Squeeze installation), i can't even see it in "ifconfig -a"
> listing. In Squeeze that card worked fine.

If you want us to help with that and the eth0 issue, it would help if
you posted information regarding the hardware in use and what your
configuration files look like. You cannot blindly assume your old config
files will work with a new Debian release either, although that's
generally the case.

Regarding the wifi issue, I assume you are just missing a firmware
package. Take a look at dmesg output, you may find a message in there
about this very topic.

> I need a distro which can be installed.

Then don't use wheezy. Or install squeeze first and then upgrade to
wheezy.

J.
--
Nothing is as I planned it.