Old 04-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Alan McConnell

Default Trouble with apt-cache and aptitude

Assembled Wisdom!

I've been running Debian since 'sarge' was new -- other distributions
before that -- and on Saturday I finally made the move from 'etch'
to 'squeeze'. I reinstalled, using my eight DVDs that I had bought
from LinuxCollections.com.

The install went beautifully, and my system is now very elegant, as
far as it exists. But I noticed that I used only Disk 1.

Now I want to install e.g. Lilypond(the music typesetter) and
the Window Manager sawfish. But when I go e.g.
apt-cache search lilypond
(from a terminal, naturally) the prompt returns immediately. Same
for sawfish, and various other recondite programs.

I am starting to feel that the database of all that is one these
disks is not available to me. Are the disks perhaps flawed? (hard
to believe, since the install went so well) Is there any way of
adjusting something so that apt-cache and aptitude work as well
as they did with my 'etch' DVDs?

TIA for anticipated help, and greetings to all!

Alan McConnell

--
Alan McConnell : http://patriot.net/users/alan
I was alive in the wood . . ./ I am killed by the cruel ax. /

Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Bjørn Michelsen

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 05:32:05PM -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:

Hey there,

> I've been running Debian since 'sarge' was new -- other distributions
> before that -- and on Saturday I finally made the move from 'etch'
> to 'squeeze'. I reinstalled, using my eight DVDs that I had bought
> from LinuxCollections.com.
>
> The install went beautifully, and my system is now very elegant, as
> far as it exists. But I noticed that I used only Disk 1.
>
> Now I want to install e.g. Lilypond(the music typesetter) and
> the Window Manager sawfish. But when I go e.g.
> apt-cache search lilypond
> (from a terminal, naturally) the prompt returns immediately. Same
> for sawfish, and various other recondite programs.
>
> I am starting to feel that the database of all that is one these
> disks is not available to me. Are the disks perhaps flawed? (hard
> to believe, since the install went so well) Is there any way of
> adjusting something so that apt-cache and aptitude work as well
> as they did with my 'etch' DVDs?

Did you add them to your sources.list with apt-cdrom? That is,

# -d being mount point
apt-cdrom -d=/cdrom add

If that doesn't work, then please paste /etc/apt/sources.list so we can
have a go at it, and hopefully figure out what's going on.

Anyway, hope that solves your problem.

--
Sincerely,
Bjorn Michelsen