-   -   When installing from a CD image How to Gain Internet (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/515634-when-installing-cd-image-how-gain-internet.html)

Paul E Condon 04-18-2011 03:32 PM

When installing from a CD image How to Gain Internet

Jude,

There is a fundamental misconcepting about the real world here. You
presume that everyone everywhere belongs to an organization that has
a thing called 'network administrator' and that this thing is able to
receive messages from real world humans-in-the-wild.

I think that the fact that OP mentioned that he is using a router places
him outside the environment that you assume. And if he actually *is* in
such an environment there may be issues of personal safety. Who is the
network administrator of Lybia, for instance?

Paul

And whatever happened to bottom posting on debian-user?

On 20110418_052916, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Nobody on this list can answer that question for you unless one of your
> organization's network administrators also is on this email list in
> which case if you're allowed to have that information that network
> administrator will not post it on this list. To explain, what you have
> is a problem local to your own network not a problem common to this
> entire list. This of course assumes your internet connection and
> network are both working and were both working when you wrote this
> message. I've installed earlier net-install versions of debian and have
> not even run into the problems you're having now and I'm behind both a
> switch going into a router which is going into a modem before going out
> onto the internet.
>
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2011, Varuna Seneviratna wrote:
>
> > I am trying to install from a CD image of 180MB, On the way I am asked to
> > select a Mirror and also a proxy, I am Using a router to connect to the
> > Internet. I selected a mirror and left the proxy information blank.The
> > Installation process displays a message that says unable to gain Internet
> > connection and that only a basic Debian System can be installed.How will I
> > be able to gain Internet connection.What is the proxy information that I
> > should Enter
> >
> > Varuna

Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net