Old 04-18-2011, 06:23 AM
Varuna Seneviratna

Default When installing from a CD image How to Gain Internet Access using a router and What is to Enter as Proxy information?

I am trying to install from a CD image of 180MB, On the way I am asked
to select a Mirror and also a proxy, I am Using a router to connect to
the Internet. I* selected a mirror and left the proxy information
blank.The Installation process displays a message that says unable to
gain Internet connection and that only a basic Debian System can be
installed.How will I be able to gain Internet connection.What is the
proxy information that I should Enter

Varuna

Old 04-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Joe

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:53:27 +0530
Varuna Seneviratna <varunaseneviratna@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to install from a CD image of 180MB, On the way I am
> asked to select a Mirror and also a proxy, I am Using a router to
> connect to the Internet. I selected a mirror and left the proxy
> information blank.The Installation process displays a message that
> says unable to gain Internet connection and that only a basic Debian
> System can be installed.How will I be able to gain Internet
> connection.What is the proxy information that I should Enter

If you are not using an existing web proxy server, then nothing. The
problem is something else.

When the basic system has finished installing and you have rebooted
and logged in, what is the output of the command /sbin/ifconfig?

Making a wild guess: what kind of installation did you choose, and is
there a DHCP server in your system? With one of the older installers
(no older than etch), if 'expert' was not chosen, and no existing DHCP
server was found, then no networking software was installed. I reported
this as a bug, but was rather tersely told that it was a feature. It may
still be a feature today.

--
Joe

Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Jude DaShiell

Nobody on this list can answer that question for you unless one of your
organization's network administrators also is on this email list in
which case if you're allowed to have that information that network
administrator will not post it on this list. To explain, what you have
is a problem local to your own network not a problem common to this
entire list. This of course assumes your internet connection and
network are both working and were both working when you wrote this
message. I've installed earlier net-install versions of debian and have
not even run into the problems you're having now and I'm behind both a
switch going into a router which is going into a modem before going out
onto the internet.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Varuna Seneviratna

On 18 April 2011 09:29, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> Nobody on this list can answer that question for you unless one of your
> organization's network administrators also is on this email list in
> which case if you're allowed to have that information that network
> administrator will not post it on this list.

I am not on an organisation's network, I am at home learning Linux.I
was faced with this problem when Trying to install Debian, So I
reinstalled fedora from a Live CD which I had before trying Debian.

*To explain, what you have
> is a problem local to your own network not a problem common to this
> entire list. *This of course assumes your internet connection and
> network are both working and were both working when you wrote this
> message.

I am able to access Gmail is not from a Debian System But From a Fedora.

*I've installed earlier net-install versions of debian and have
> not even run into the problems you're having now and I'm behind both a
> switch going into a router which is going into a modem before going out
> onto the internet.

I Think as I have noted in a previous message I ran into this problem
because my router was not DHCP enabled. I will try again latter

Varuna

Old 04-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Varuna Seneviratna

On 18 April 2011 09:19, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks Lisi I will try again.I am trying to learn Linux and you are
right I new to Debian

Varuna

Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Mihira Fernando

I Think as I have noted in a previous message I ran into this problem
because my router was not DHCP enabled. I will try again latter

Varuna
Enable DHCP and run the setup. Also, just to be on the sure side, check
and see if the network interface is supported in Debian.

Mihira.

Archive: 4DAC24CB.6050002@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DAC24CB.6050002@gmail.com

Old 04-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Jude DaShiell

If on a dhcp network, the router has to talk dhcp that's for sure.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 AM
consul tores

2011/4/17 Varuna Seneviratna <varunaseneviratna@gmail.com>:
> I am trying to install from a CD image of 180MB, On the way I am asked to
> select a Mirror and also a proxy, I am Using a router to connect to the
> Internet. I* selected a mirror and left the proxy information blank.The
> Installation process displays a message that says unable to gain Internet
> connection and that only a basic Debian System can be installed.How will I
> be able to gain Internet connection.What is the proxy information that I
> should Enter
>
> Varuna

Have you try this steps?

Choosing expert mode.
Configuring the network.
The installer says when it happens.
Following with installation.

--
* * * * ** Consultores Agropecuarios.
Administracion, Produccion, Capacitacion.