Old 04-18-2011, 02:50 AM

Default Gdm login failing "I could not start your session"

How can I restore full gnome login? Only a gnome-failsafe session
works now.

/var/log/gdm/:0.log shows:
FATAL: Module fbcon not found
SELinux disabled on system, no enabling in X

$HOME/.xsession-errors shows:
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
load s .profile
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Executing gnome-session failed, will try to run x-terminal-emulator

I may have deleted files accidentally (sudo-ed too fast). But I've already upgraded lenny to squeeze and then re-installed many gnome packages. The problem remains.

Thanks for your help.

S. Taylor

Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Bob McGowan

On 04/17/2011 07:50 PM, dbu.sat.nobrainer@antichef.com wrote:
> How can I restore full gnome login? Only a gnome-failsafe session
> works now.
>
> /var/log/gdm/:0.log shows:
> FATAL: Module fbcon not found
> SELinux disabled on system, no enabling in X
>
> $HOME/.xsession-errors shows:
> /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
> load s .profile
> /etc/gdm/Xsession: Executing gnome-session failed, will try to run x-terminal-emulator
>
> I may have deleted files accidentally (sudo-ed too fast). But I've already upgraded lenny to squeeze and then re-installed many gnome packages. The problem remains.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> S. Taylor

Just some thoughts, which may not help, depending on how this all
happened. I had a similar problem with a home directory that "belonged"
to me but really didn't.

Be sure your login account name is the owner of all files in your home
directory and that this user has read/write permissions for regular
files and read/write/execute permissions for directories.

If that doesn't help, you may want to consider creating another user
account and use it to confirm whether a new login setup works or not.

If it works, you know you have all the right software installed, and you
can then focus on configuration differences. If it doesn't work, then
you need to figure out which package(s) is(are) missing and install them.

I'm not sure about the "best" way to figure out what might be missing.
You could try listing the dependencies of the gnome meta-package(s) and
then check for these packages and reinstall any that are missing.

--
Bob McGowan