Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   How to automate the upgrade of openssh-server? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/515422-how-automate-upgrade-openssh-server.html)

Hilco Wijbenga 04-18-2011 12:49 AM

How to automate the upgrade of openssh-server?
 
Hi all,

I'm trying to automate the setup of an Ubuntu Server 10.04 64bit
system. I am unable to run apt-get upgrade sucessfully (i.e. without
manual intervention). Every time it blocks because of openssh-server
(and portmap):

Setting up openssh-server (1:5.3p1-3ubuntu6) ...

Configuration file `/etc/init/ssh.conf'
==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
N or O : keep your currently-installed version
D : show the differences between the versions
Z : background this process to examine the situation
The default action is to keep your current version.
*** ssh.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

I tried '-y' and '--force-yes'. I tried using aptitude instead of
apt-get. I tried aptitude's safe-upgrade. I tried setting debconf to
Noninteractive. Nothing seems to make any difference. How do I make
sure the upgrade continues automatically?

Cheers,
Hilco


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTikdKerNxdckFYn2TytthouiEFE6nw@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTikdKerNxdckFYn2TytthouiEFE6nw@mail.gmail.com

Bjørn Michelsen 04-18-2011 01:42 AM

How to automate the upgrade of openssh-server?
 
On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 05:49:08PM -0700, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:

Hey there,

> I'm trying to automate the setup of an Ubuntu Server 10.04 64bit
> system. I am unable to run apt-get upgrade sucessfully (i.e. without
> manual intervention). Every time it blocks because of openssh-server
> (and portmap):
>
> Setting up openssh-server (1:5.3p1-3ubuntu6) ...
>
> Configuration file `/etc/init/ssh.conf'
> ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
> ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
> What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
> Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
> N or O : keep your currently-installed version
> D : show the differences between the versions
> Z : background this process to examine the situation
> The default action is to keep your current version.
> *** ssh.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
>
> I tried '-y' and '--force-yes'. I tried using aptitude instead of
> apt-get. I tried aptitude's safe-upgrade. I tried setting debconf to
> Noninteractive. Nothing seems to make any difference. How do I make
> sure the upgrade continues automatically?

See the dpkg manual (man dpkg), specifically:

confnew: If a conffile has been modified always install
the new version without prompting, unless the
--force-confdef is also specified, in which case the
default action is preferred.

confold: If a conffile has been modified always keep the
old version without prompting, unless the --force-confdef
is also specified, in which case the default action is
preferred.

confdef: If a conffile has been modified always choose
the default action. If there is no default action it will
stop to ask the user unless --force-confnew or
--force-confold is also been given, in which case it will
use that to decide the final action.

It's possible to pass these options to apt, for instance

apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" upgrade


Hope that solves your problem.

--
Sincerely,
Bjorn Michelsen


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110418014240.GB819@bmichelsen.no">http://lists.debian.org/20110418014240.GB819@bmichelsen.no

Hilco Wijbenga 04-18-2011 01:59 AM

How to automate the upgrade of openssh-server?
 
2011/4/17 Bjørn Michelsen <bjorn@bmichelsen.no>:
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 05:49:08PM -0700, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
> It's possible to pass these options to apt, for instance
>
> *apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" upgrade

Thanks!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTim=c+hGJiBRh89_CPyKeXHD3n9nKQ@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTim=c+hGJiBRh89_CPyKeXHD3n9nKQ@mail.gmail.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:48 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.