Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Paul E Condon

Default Procmailrc question

I once had my email working nicely, but over the last few years
the setup has decayed. I am now running wheezy with fetchmail to
get email from my ISP, exim4 to send outgoing email to my ISP, and
do other things locally, and procmail running in my $home. I have
no interest in setting up system-wide (i.e. several users) mail
delivery since I am the only user of email here. I have been keeping
the same .procmailrc file from well before the transition from
exim3 to exim4, making ad hoc kludge changes only when absolutely
forced to, and largely without a clue as to what I was doing.

I once had spamassassin working, but for a long while it has not
been working. Certainly there has been no evidence of it working
since I installed xfce under wheezy. Today I noticed in my
.procmailrc the following line, which is left over from long ago:

PATH=/usr/local/nmh/lib:/usr/local/nmh/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin

This line is there for the benefit of the scripting that inplements
the recipes that follow. But this is wrong for my wheezy!!! In
particular, everything in /usr was put there by installing wheezy with
a squeeze business-card CD followed by debian package installs using
aptitude pointing to ftp.us.debian.org/debian/. Aptitude says that the
package nmh is installed. But there is no directory /usr/local/nmh/ on
the computer. Sometime in the past the organization of Debian /usr
transitioned from having that directory to not have it. It's been long
enough that it may have gone thru several transitions while I was
confused and inattentive (because of poor access to emails, perhaps)

Anyway, I think I need a PATH statement that is appropriate for
Debian wheezy before I can do any meaningful debugging.

Can someone who is running a single user Wheezy system using single
user .procmailrc and spamassassin (or spamc/spamd) please post a copy
of the PATH statement is a working setup?

As an added goody, please tell me where you got the information.
Did it get installed automagically by a Debian package? Or what?

TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 04-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Jude DaShiell

If you runn install-nmh, then nmh will make the directories it needs and
perhaps start working. I use nmh and like it better than mbox because
when malware hits a message that message with offending garbage can be
sacrificed without the loss of your entire collection of messages.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Jude DaShiell

In debian dpkg-reconfigure nmh may do what install-nmh does for non-debian
systems. I read up on nmh from the nmh website.On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, Paul

Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Rob Owens

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 03:38:21PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I once had my email working nicely, but over the last few years
> the setup has decayed. I am now running wheezy with fetchmail to
> get email from my ISP, exim4 to send outgoing email to my ISP, and
> do other things locally, and procmail running in my $home. I have
> no interest in setting up system-wide (i.e. several users) mail
> delivery since I am the only user of email here. I have been keeping
> the same .procmailrc file from well before the transition from
> exim3 to exim4, making ad hoc kludge changes only when absolutely
> forced to, and largely without a clue as to what I was doing.
>
> I once had spamassassin working, but for a long while it has not
> been working. Certainly there has been no evidence of it working
> since I installed xfce under wheezy. Today I noticed in my
> .procmailrc the following line, which is left over from long ago:
>
> PATH=/usr/local/nmh/lib:/usr/local/nmh/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
>
> This line is there for the benefit of the scripting that inplements
> the recipes that follow. But this is wrong for my wheezy!!! In
> particular, everything in /usr was put there by installing wheezy with
> a squeeze business-card CD followed by debian package installs using
> aptitude pointing to ftp.us.debian.org/debian/. Aptitude says that the
> package nmh is installed. But there is no directory /usr/local/nmh/ on
> the computer. Sometime in the past the organization of Debian /usr
> transitioned from having that directory to not have it. It's been long
> enough that it may have gone thru several transitions while I was
> confused and inattentive (because of poor access to emails, perhaps)
>
> Anyway, I think I need a PATH statement that is appropriate for
> Debian wheezy before I can do any meaningful debugging.
>
> Can someone who is running a single user Wheezy system using single
> user .procmailrc and spamassassin (or spamc/spamd) please post a copy
> of the PATH statement is a working setup?

This is my PATH statement, which worked under Lenny and still works in
Squeeze. I haven't tried Wheezy. I'm using mbox for my mail format.
"mbox" is also my default message location.

Heck, I'll include most of my .procmailrc for you:

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
HOME=/home/rob
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/.procmaillog

### Trust EZhoster and PTD.net to do accurate spam filtering:
:0:
* ^Subject:.*SPAM
/dev/null

### bogofilter spam filtering:
:0fw
| /usr/bin/bogofilter -uep
#
:0:
spam

# some mailing lists:

:0:
* ^TOdebian-user@lists.debian.org
debian-user

:0:
* ^From.*.posts.freecycle.org
freecycle

-Rob

Old 04-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Paul E Condon

Your two emails were a help, but opened up some new questions:
Executing install-mh in an xterm failed because install-mh was not
found. I used find /usr -name 'install-mh' and found *two*
versions. One was in /usr/bin/mh . I take this to be the modern
equivalent of the old /usr/local/nmh/bin. So it appears that install-mh
does something else than installing nmh software somewhere in /usr.
Seeing the swap of mh and bin and the dropping of local, I looked for
the modern analog of /usr/local/nmh/lib at /usr/lib/mh and it is there.
But I foolishly ran install-mh, before looking for its man page. I think
I should not have run it, at least not until I have made more progress
on reviving my old setup.

I have been looking at mh as a possible alternative to my, more
'mainstream', but non-functioning, email system. And I think I will
look at it seriously, but not until later. I can't see trying to
bring up two different email systems concurrently. Both trying to
deliver the same email arriving via fetchmail and both looking to
feed my outgoing emails to exim4, or maybe one to exim4 and the other
to something else.

I think I would still like to learn what the Debianly correct PATH
definition is from someone who has a fetchmail/exim4/procmail/mutt
system running in wheezy, and can simply open up his/her .procmailrc
and copy that line into an email. In this there is too much verbiage
about how I can do whatever I want, and not enough explanation of
what is a known solution to a common problem. But even in how-tos
that say they are specifically for Debian there are instructions
for setup a .forward file to run procmail and I know that is not
part of the Debian way.

On 20110417_175932, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> In debian dpkg-reconfigure nmh may do what install-nmh does for non-debian
> systems. I read up on nmh from the nmh website.On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, Paul
> E Condon wrote:
>
> > I once had my email working nicely, but over the last few years
> > the setup has decayed. I am now running wheezy with fetchmail to
> > get email from my ISP, exim4 to send outgoing email to my ISP, and
> > do other things locally, and procmail running in my $home. I have
> > no interest in setting up system-wide (i.e. several users) mail
> > delivery since I am the only user of email here. I have been keeping
> > the same .procmailrc file from well before the transition from
> > exim3 to exim4, making ad hoc kludge changes only when absolutely
> > forced to, and largely without a clue as to what I was doing.
> >
> > I once had spamassassin working, but for a long while it has not
> > been working. Certainly there has been no evidence of it working
> > since I installed xfce under wheezy. Today I noticed in my
> > .procmailrc the following line, which is left over from long ago:
> >
> > PATH=/usr/local/nmh/lib:/usr/local/nmh/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
> >
> > This line is there for the benefit of the scripting that inplements
> > the recipes that follow. But this is wrong for my wheezy!!! In
> > particular, everything in /usr was put there by installing wheezy with
> > a squeeze business-card CD followed by debian package installs using
> > aptitude pointing to ftp.us.debian.org/debian/. Aptitude says that the
> > package nmh is installed. But there is no directory /usr/local/nmh/ on
> > the computer. Sometime in the past the organization of Debian /usr
> > transitioned from having that directory to not have it. It's been long
> > enough that it may have gone thru several transitions while I was
> > confused and inattentive (because of poor access to emails, perhaps)
> >
> > Anyway, I think I need a PATH statement that is appropriate for
> > Debian wheezy before I can do any meaningful debugging.
> >
> > Can someone who is running a single user Wheezy system using single
> > user .procmailrc and spamassassin (or spamc/spamd) please post a copy
> > of the PATH statement is a working setup?
> >
> > As an added goody, please tell me where you got the information.
> > Did it get installed automagically by a Debian package? Or what?
> >
> > TIA

Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net