Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Zach

Default Linux network security poll

I need to get serious about security since I will be soon connected to
the net almost 24x7 (barring a power outage etc.) so I was wondering
if list members could explain their security setup (network
configuration, DMZ, firewalls, IDS, logging, etc.). Also what would
you recommend for someone like me who is still on an entry level in
terms of my understanding of Linux and network security and what would
recommend for later on down the road once I get more sophisticated? I
run Debian lenny with a 2.6.18 kernel. I will be getting ADSL next
week and plan on having a DSL modem/router doing NAT. I only have one
machine now but plan on adding another one within the next 3 months or
so.

Zach

Old 02-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-09-2008, 11:41 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 05:18:09PM -0500, Zach wrote:
> I need to get serious about security since I will be soon connected to
> the net almost 24x7 (barring a power outage etc.) so I was wondering
> if list members could explain their security setup (network
> configuration, DMZ, firewalls, IDS, logging, etc.). Also what would
> you recommend for someone like me who is still on an entry level in
> terms of my understanding of Linux and network security and what would
> recommend for later on down the road once I get more sophisticated? I
> run Debian lenny with a 2.6.18 kernel. I will be getting ADSL next
> week and plan on having a DSL modem/router doing NAT. I only have one
> machine now but plan on adding another one within the next 3 months or
> so.

It all depends on what you intend to do. If its just your home box that
will be connected all the time now, and you're not offering services on
the internet, then its pretty straight-forwared and should be no
different to what you are doing now. If you do need a DMZ, then read
the shorewall-doc package, even if you're not going to use shorewall its
a good document.

Close all ports and only open those ports you need, in all directions,
as default.

Have only those daemons listening which you need to be listening and
only on the interfaces you need. I.e. if you don't intend to ssh into
your box from the internet, you can tell sshd exactly what interfaces to
listen to (and don't tell it the one for the internet).

Based on other threads I've read recently, its not obvious that you
should have separate NICs for the internet and your internal network.
You do. NICs are cheap. If you only add a second box, you can use a
cross-over cable and don't need a switch. If you add any other network
device, get a linksys 5 port switch for $10 or whatever.

Run ntpd to keep the system time synced. Your firewall box will
hopefully end up stratum 3. Your other boxes can watch the firewall and
be stratum 4.

Doug.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Jochen Schulz

Zach:

> I need to get serious about security since I will be soon connected to
> the net almost 24x7 (barring a power outage etc.) so I was wondering
> if list members could explain their security setup (network
> configuration, DMZ, firewalls, IDS, logging, etc.).

I just have a router between the internet and my clients. It forwards
two or three ports to another machine (SSH, http, ...) and otherwise is
busy NATting. That's it.

> Also what would
> you recommend for someone like me who is still on an entry level in
> terms of my understanding of Linux and network security and what would
> recommend for later on down the road once I get more sophisticated?

The most important thing for you is to get a basic knowledge about
TCP/IP and the theory behind it (ISO/OSI model). If you have that, the
rest is just about picking the tool you want to use. It probably never
hurts to learn how to use iptables directly before you start using
frontends for it.

J.
--
In an ideal world I would cure poverty and go to the gym at least three
days a week.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Rick Dooling

> re security

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resource_files/host_security/securing-debian-howto/apA.en.htm

Play with firestarter. It will help you learn about iptables.

For more info google on securing debian; or if you want to really get
serious, hardening debian.

RD