Old 02-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Zach

Default Measuring & optimizing broadband speed

I am looking for accurate methods of measuring broadband speed,
particularly for a 728 kbps / 128 kbps DSL line.
I want to see how close my real world throughput gets to the
advertised bandwidth. Also what is the theoretical maximum and minimum
ping (average return time) and lag (standard deviation of the ping)
for such a DSL line? Is there any sort of MTU, routing table or TCP/IP
stack changes I can make (if so please explain how) to increase my
latency, lag and packet loss? I use Debian lenny with a 2.6.18 kernel.
Oh yes I will have a static IP address.

Also I got some advice on how to setup my ADSL line I'm getting next
week but no one mentioned using the "route" command and setting up the
routing table (gateway, metrics, netmask). Is that not necessary in my
case?

Zach

Old 02-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Jochen Schulz

Zach:

> I am looking for accurate methods of measuring broadband speed,
> particularly for a 728 kbps / 128 kbps DSL line.

To monitor interface throughput, I often use nload. It shows an ASCII
graph and cur/max/avg bandwith usage.

> I want to see how close my real world throughput gets to the
> advertised bandwidth. Also what is the theoretical maximum and minimum
> ping (average return time) and lag (standard deviation of the ping)

This heavily depends on the connection to your house, I think.
Everything under 100ms is acceptable for me.

> for such a DSL line? Is there any sort of MTU, routing table or TCP/IP
> stack changes I can make (if so please explain how) to increase my
> latency, lag and packet loss? I use Debian lenny with a 2.6.18 kernel.
> Oh yes I will have a static IP address.

pppd should handle things like MTU and setting up routes. Latency and
packet loss are basically out of your control (until you have a gross
misconfiguration on your side).

J.
--
As a child I pulled the legs from a spider.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 02-11-2008, 01:41 PM
"Paul Johnson"

On Feb 11, 2008 2:44 AM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

> True, but it's easy to change. German ISPs disconnect you every 24h
> anyway, so you just have to disable automatic disconnects and enable
> automatic redialling.

I'm surprised Germans won't stand for trains announcing themselves at
crossings for safety, but will put up with getting less than they paid
for for Internet...

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca