Old 04-17-2011, 05:29 AM
sahaya

Default Internet Connection Speed Test

Old 04-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Wayne Topa

On 04/17/2011 01:29 AM, sahaya wrote:

Nathan Zabaldo wrote:

Is there a package or a way to test upstream and downstream speeds of an
Internet connection from a terminal in Debian Woody?

e.g. www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ , but I need to test from a terminal as
do not have a browser.

Install the iftop package

iftop does for network usage what top(1) does for CPU usage. It listens to
network traffic on a named interface and displays a table of current
bandwidth
usage by pairs of hosts. Handy for answering the question "Why is my
Internet

link so slow?".

HTH
WT

Archive: 4DAB27DB.9050003@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DAB27DB.9050003@gmail.com

Old 04-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Glenn English

On Apr 17, 2011, at 11:48 AM, Wayne Topa wrote:

> Install the iftop package

Wow! That is profoundly cool. I didn't know it existed. Thanks -- I just hope Nathan likes it too :-)

--
Glenn English
“Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live.” - Mark Twain

Old 04-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Jude DaShiell

You can do apt-get lynx -r <enter> as root then try: lynx
http://www.speedtest.net/ <enter>. The statistics you need should then
appear on the screen for you to examine.On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, Wayne Topa

Old 04-18-2011, 03:16 AM
Ron Johnson

"Speedtest.net requires at least version 9 of Flash. Please update your
client."