Old 02-09-2008, 07:41 PM
cothrige

Default Aptitude stuck on sun-java5-bin

I have managed to get myself in a bit of a bind regarding packages.
Aptitude is reporting an error regarding an apparent half-finished
upgrade to sun-java5-bin, and this has caused all things to stop.
Unfortunately I have not found a way to resolve or work around this.
Here is what has been coming back from any aptitude commands:

Preparing to replace sun-java5-bin 1.5.0-14-2 (using .../sun-java5-bin_1.5.0-14-2_i386.deb) ...
sun-dlj-v1-1 license has already been accepted
Unpacking replacement sun-java5-bin ...
/usr/share/icons/sun-java5.png is not a directory
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 2
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
/usr/share/icons/sun-java5.png is not a directory
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java5-bin_1.5.0-14-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 2
sun-dlj-v1-1 license has already been accepted
/usr/share/icons/sun-java5.png is not a directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
/var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java5-bin_1.5.0-14-2_i386.deb

I don't know why it would expect that sun-java5.png would be a
directory, but this has apparently led to some strange confusions. I
have removed the sun-java5-bin debfile from cache just in case something
may change with a new download, but it still resulted in the same
complaints. I have also tried uninstalling the package, but it
insists it must install it before removing it, and so that won't work
either. I am not quite sure how to proceed here, and I am sure I am
overlooking the obvious response simply because I am still a bit of a
newb with apt.

Any ideas of what I may be able to do to get this resolved? Many thanks
in advance,

Patrick

Old 02-09-2008, 08:33 PM
"Adrian Levi"

On 10/02/2008, cothrige <cothrige@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I have managed to get myself in a bit of a bind regarding packages.
> Aptitude is reporting an error regarding an apparent half-finished
> upgrade to sun-java5-bin, and this has caused all things to stop.
> Unfortunately I have not found a way to resolve or work around this.
> Here is what has been coming back from any aptitude commands:
>

> Preparing to replace sun-java5-bin 1.5.0-14-2 (using .../sun-java5-bin_1.5.0-14-2_i386.deb)

you could try running,

#dpkg --configure -a

But likely I suspect it will fail.

Another option is possibly to pre-empt it and go ahead and delete:
/usr/share/icons/sun-java5.png

The original script mightn't bork at that part then.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:35 PM
cothrige

"Adrian Levi" <adrian.levi@gmail.com> writes:

> you could try running,
>
> #dpkg --configure -a
>
> But likely I suspect it will fail.

Yes, it appears to have changed little. Still failing.

> Another option is possibly to pre-empt it and go ahead and delete:
> /usr/share/icons/sun-java5.png

Actually, there is no such file. I assume it is trying to install one,
but I can't be sure.

At some point during this process things changed, and now I am not
getting the same complaint as before. Rather, all it says now is:

dpkg: error processing sun-java5-bin (--remove):
Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting a removal.
sun-java5-bin

I think my machine is becoming condescending about this. :-) All I can
think is Duh, it is in a "very bad inconsistent state." But, I cannot
reinstall as the same thing pops up then. Right now all that I get is
the above complaint, regardless of what I do with apt. Very confusing I
must say.

Patrick

Old 02-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 14:41:14 -0600, cothrige wrote:

> I have managed to get myself in a bit of a bind regarding packages.
> Aptitude is reporting an error regarding an apparent half-finished
> upgrade to sun-java5-bin, and this has caused all things to stop.
> Unfortunately I have not found a way to resolve or work around this.
> Here is what has been coming back from any aptitude commands:
>

> Preparing to replace sun-java5-bin 1.5.0-14-2 (using .../sun-java5-bin_1.5.0-14-2_i386.deb) ...
> sun-dlj-v1-1 license has already been accepted
> Unpacking replacement sun-java5-bin ...
> /usr/share/icons/sun-java5.png is not a directory
> dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 2

See bugs #462725 and #462727: dh_icons from package debhelper puts an
incorrect invocation of update-icon-caches into the post-removal script.
This problem is supposed to be fixed now (version 1.5.0-14-3 in Sid).

To get your package manager unstuck, use a text editor to open the file
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sun-java5-bin.postrm and change the line

update-icon-caches /usr/share/icons/sun-java5.png

update-icon-caches /usr/share/icons/

(line numer 36).

Then run "aptitude install -f". I cannot test this on my system, but I
am pretty sure that it should work. If it does not work then comment out
line 36 by putting an "#" in front of it and run the aptitude command
again.

Florian |