Old 02-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Kevin Mark

Default beefy steel cases

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 12:24:56PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> hello,
>
> Me again with my project.
>
> Some people off-list have found me some low-MHz computers and will mail
> me the boards with CPU + memory etc. One is a Tyan dual Pentium
> {133|166}.
>
> Now I'm looking for a great case in which to mount it (them?). Starting
> with wikipedia on EMR shielding, and surfing fro there, I've learned
> that steel is much better for this than aluminum of the same thickness,
> and the thicker the better (see skin depth). Wouldn't you know it: my
> Athlon64's case is steel frame with thin aluminum panels. So, I guess
> its case should be changed too.
>
> Asthetics don't matter.

How about this:
get any case you want.
get some guy who welds and make an outer box to put your computer it
with a few hole where needed.
This way you dont need 'a certain form-factor' because anything will fit
inside.
create a U shape: left side, bottom, right side
then make the front and back panels with a few holes for cables
and then a top to put on top of the U.
-K

--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

Old 02-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Jude DaShiell

Hmmm, a carpenter could probably do it better with real wood. Not
composite but maybe pine or oak.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:52 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 11:43:42AM -0600, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Hmmm, a carpenter could probably do it better with real wood. Not
> composite but maybe pine or oak.

Wood is decidely poor at EMR containment.

Doug.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:54 PM
"s. keeling"

Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>:

> Some people off-list have found me some low-MHz computers and will mail
> me the boards with CPU + memory etc. One is a Tyan dual Pentium
> {133|166}.
>
> Now I'm looking for a great case in which to mount it (them?). Starting
> with wikipedia on EMR shielding, and surfing fro there, I've learned
> that steel is much better for this than aluminum of the same thickness,
> and the thicker the better (see skin depth). Wouldn't you know it: my
> Athlon64's case is steel frame with thin aluminum panels. So, I guess
> its case should be changed too.
>
> Asthetics don't matter.
>
> I'm wondering if in your travels, have any of you seen a case (tower,
> desktop, or rackmount) that is:
>
> -- of heavy steel frame and panels.

Sun Ultra 30. Thing must weigh a ton.

> -- lots of non-hot-swap drive space (unless hot-swap trays are included
> or readily avilable). Front-accessible bays: floppy (old-board bios may
> come on a floppy), CD, plus perhaps room for a future tape unit (2
> half-height bays).

Two Sun drive bays, and about two nondescript 5" bays.

> Front-panel USB is not important, especially if it has extra rear slots.
> Front-panel sound is not important.

No USB. It has a sound card, though I've never heard anything from it.

> All the front panel needs is a power switch (preferably covered against
> accidental pushing) with an "on" light, and perhaps a "drive" light.

You won't like the power key on the Sun keyboard then.

> If this rings a bell, could you let me know so I can track one down?

It's yours if you pay shipping. It runs Debian Etch, OpenBSD, NetBSD,
and OpenSolaris. 17" Sun monitor included, ca. 250 Mb RAM, Plextor CD-R
drive and Sun cartridge CD-R, DDS3 tape drive w 12 cartridges and head
cleaner cartridge, all SCSI I/O. I've a UPS that goes with it which
sounds like a vacuum cleaner. All 64 bit RISC/Sparc.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:02 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 12:54:02AM +0100, s. keeling wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>:

Sun Ultra 30. Thing must weigh a ton.

> It's yours if you pay shipping. It runs Debian Etch, OpenBSD, NetBSD,
> and OpenSolaris. 17" Sun monitor included, ca. 250 Mb RAM, Plextor CD-R
> drive and Sun cartridge CD-R, DDS3 tape drive w 12 cartridges and head
> cleaner cartridge, all SCSI I/O. I've a UPS that goes with it which
> sounds like a vacuum cleaner. All 64 bit RISC/Sparc.

Thanks, s.

According to wikipedia, the Sun Ultra 30 runs at either 250 or 300 MHz
and so is too fast.

Thank you, though, for the consideration. I hope it finds a good home.

Doug.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:32 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:16:52AM +0000, Mihira Fernando wrote:

> Once again, old IBM servers comes to mind. Those boxes must be made out
> of steel or lead. Weighs a heck of a lot.

Unfortuanly, those old IBM RS/6000 units still command 4-figure price
tags. Also, the power supply would be different and probably
incompatible for ATX. Don't know about motherboard size but slot-lineup
would also be non-ATX.

Doug.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Mihira Fernando

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
hello,

Me again with my project.

Some people off-list have found me some low-MHz computers and will mail
me the boards with CPU + memory etc. One is a Tyan dual Pentium
{133|166}.

Now I'm looking for a great case in which to mount it (them?). Starting
with wikipedia on EMR shielding, and surfing fro there, I've learned
that steel is much better for this than aluminum of the same thickness,
and the thicker the better (see skin depth). Wouldn't you know it: my
Athlon64's case is steel frame with thin aluminum panels. So, I guess
its case should be changed too.

Asthetics don't matter.

I'm wondering if in your travels, have any of you seen a case (tower,
desktop, or rackmount) that is:

-- of heavy steel frame and panels.

-- perhaps overlaping vents with no line-of-sight from the inside to the
outside.

-- lots of non-hot-swap drive space (unless hot-swap trays are included
or readily avilable). Front-accessible bays: floppy (old-board bios may
come on a floppy), CD, plus perhaps room for a future tape unit (2
half-height bays).

-- lots of card slots on the rear (in excess of MB) for e.g. motherboard
USB in lieu of front USB ports.

-- plus all the other normal good stuff for a case: great cooling, no
sharp edges, etc.

Front-panel USB is not important, especially if it has extra rear slots.
Front-panel sound is not important.

All the front panel needs is a power switch (preferably covered against
accidental pushing) with an "on" light, and perhaps a "drive" light.

If this rings a bell, could you let me know so I can track one down?

Thanks,

Doug.

Once again, old IBM servers comes to mind. Those boxes must be made out
of steel or lead. Weighs a heck of a lot.

While you're at it, why not buy an old steel safe to house the PCs ?
some old safes have really thick steel walls. I'm sure you'd be able to
find a steel welder to do some adjustments to it to allow cables through
as well as air flow.

Then you can use any up to date casing.

Mihira.
--
"Not many people know when love really starts...
More than a friend, but not quite lovers.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 12:24:56PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> hello,
>
> Me again with my project.
>
> Some people off-list have found me some low-MHz computers and will mail
> me the boards with CPU + memory etc. One is a Tyan dual Pentium
> {133|166}.
>
> Now I'm looking for a great case in which to mount it (them?). Starting
> with wikipedia on EMR shielding, and surfing fro there, I've learned
> that steel is much better for this than aluminum of the same thickness,
> and the thicker the better (see skin depth). Wouldn't you know it: my
> Athlon64's case is steel frame with thin aluminum panels. So, I guess
> its case should be changed too.
>
> Asthetics don't matter.
>
> I'm wondering if in your travels, have any of you seen a case (tower,
> desktop, or rackmount) that is:
>
> -- of heavy steel frame and panels.

Every *old* case I have fits your requirements more or less (I might
even have a spare, now that I think of it...). I suggest
you go to the local (is there such a thing?) computer reseller/parts
shop and scrounge for old cases. They are invariably steel all the way
around and an be had for next to nothing (even nothing sometimes).

You may need to add a couple baffles. Some of my old ones are all
steel all the way around except for some "cooling" holes on the
back. A simple baffle pop-rivetted over that would allow airflow but
eliminate the line-of-sight issue. The only other concern would be the
front panel. These tend to have lots of holes in them. Again a little
sheet steel and a pop-rivet gun would clean that up pretty
quickly. THe only things that should penetrate through that front
panel would be cd/floppy drives and those are generally wrapped in
steel anyway, so that might be no problem.

You mention good cooling and so forth, but I'm not sure how much of a
concern that really is on these lower power machines. A couple of good
fans strategically placed should be plenty.

Finally, if you have a steel framed case, probably the back panel is
steel and all you'd need are new sides/top/bottom. It should be
straightforward to add steel sides to an existing frame relatively
inexpensively.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:25 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 09:56:22AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> Every *old* case I have fits your requirements more or less (I might
> even have a spare, now that I think of it...). I suggest
> you go to the local (is there such a thing?) computer reseller/parts
> shop and scrounge for old cases. They are invariably steel all the way
> around and an be had for next to nothing (even nothing sometimes).

Unfortunaly, there isn't one. Local people just take it to the recyling
depot where they dump them in with scrap metal (believe it or not)
unless it has a tube (TV, CRT, etc) in which case it sits in a pile
exposed to the weather.

> You may need to add a couple baffles. Some of my old ones are all
> steel all the way around except for some "cooling" holes on the
> back. A simple baffle pop-rivetted over that would allow airflow but
> eliminate the line-of-sight issue. The only other concern would be the
> front panel. These tend to have lots of holes in them. Again a little
> sheet steel and a pop-rivet gun would clean that up pretty
> quickly. THe only things that should penetrate through that front
> panel would be cd/floppy drives and those are generally wrapped in
> steel anyway, so that might be no problem.

Unless I find an old case that has hot-swap scsi. Then, it would be
nice if there was a door over the front. I don't know if hard drives,
in a hot-swap caddie to shield the drive logic, would be OK without a
door. If so, it would open up a lot of potential boxes.

> You mention good cooling and so forth, but I'm not sure how much of a
> concern that really is on these lower power machines. A couple of good
> fans strategically placed should be plenty.

My main concern would be for hard drives. Old consumer boxes were
designed for small, slow-RPM IDE. A new IDE is going to be at least
7200 RPM. If I go scsi, it will be faster.

> Finally, if you have a steel framed case, probably the back panel is
> steel and all you'd need are new sides/top/bottom. It should be
> straightforward to add steel sides to an existing frame relatively
> inexpensively.

I have my CoolerMaster with my Athlon in it. Steel frames yes, but all
aluminum panels. I'd have to drill out the rivits where aluminum and
steel meet, and rivit on new steel panels. The removeable one would be
more work to duplicate the track. The front is individual plastic
snap-in grill/air-filters over each of 11 drive bays, with a curved
front. Making a door would be challenging. All-in-all, this case
wouldn't be worth the effort.

I've been looking at industrial-style cases, which often have a metal
door that hinges up over the front (rackmount style). Norco has some
made with 1.2 mm steel and they run under $100 on newegg. I'm looking
at the 4U; they have several styles and I'm trying to determine the
differences between them. What do you think of these? Some industrial
computer cases are designed for low EMI for telecommunications, but are
still rated FCC Class A.

FCC ratings are cute too. FCC doesn't actually rate cases, however,
some case manufactures are also server/computer vendors (e.g.
supermicro, advantech). Some of them then put the same FCC rating info
on the case documentation as on the computers. Since these are server
boxes, they get marked as FCC class A. They probably didn't even try to
certify them for class B. I wish FCC had a "class S" for "Silent" with
non-detectable emissions (not just emissions that give information like
TEMPEST). TEMPEST computers can still emit EMI, it just doesn't provide
any information on the state of the computer.

Then again, FCC Class B means diddly to us unless its to know that a
case Failed Class B. Baby monitors and cordless phones are Class B
devices and are a problem.

Anyway, I'll keep looking for free steel boxes. Please let me know what
you think of the Norco boxes.

Thanks,

Doug.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:49 PM
"Michael D. Norwick"

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

In perusing non-propriatary (not IBM, HP, Dell, etc) high quality cases,
the SuperMicro brand has come up a lot.

Based on what I've been learning about EMF shielding, the case in which
my Athlon64 is house is inadequate (too many grills insolated with bits
of plastic from the surounding case, aluminum instead of steel, etc).

I'm wondering about a SuperMicro case for the Athlon64. Does anyone
have any experience with them? Are they steel? Does steel back up any
plastic trim pieces? On hot-swap trays (in case I find a used one), is
there metal between the drive and the front latch handle? Is the drive
bay door metal or plastic?

Have you had good experince with SuperMicro?

Thanks,

Doug.

Please forgive my boldness and ignorance, but after watching this thread
for days now, I fail to get a sense of how it has anything to do with
Debian.

Having some experience with Rf, EMI and any other acronym you care to
apply to the physics of your problem, it appears that;

1. You've yet to find the exact root cause of your wife's discomfort.
2. You are, IMHO, trying to make a Cessna 150 fly like an F18.
3. You are trying to come up with a shade tree (backyard type) solution
to a government financed problem (think $$$ or €€€).

Analyzing the root cause.
http://www.grove-ent.com/alphalab.html
http://www.nelco-usa.com/

A number of industrial solutions.
http://www.emccomponent.com/products/?gclid=CJuy4ryDu5ECFSQpIgod7DtwOA
http://www.tech-etch.com/shield/index.html
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6411522.html

But, I guess any disturbance I've had about Off-Topic posts has now been
negated by the fact that I've just contributed to one.
Short of living in an (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anechoic_chamber), I
can't see an easy solution to your desire for performance/useability,
and effectiveness, without some 'ching'. I do my best to stretch a
quarter into a dollar also. But, some solutions just take cash (or Visa,
if you

prefer).
Other problems may never find a solution. Can your wife shop a Wal-Mart
with their standardization on RFID tags? We live in a wireless world in
which data transmission (and soon power) via wireless devices has become
the standard. Add to this the fact that we are pumping more Megawatts
over High Tension transmission lines than ever before. Cell phones are
probably to surpass landlines in usage in the near future, The spectrum
gets more crowded (and valuable) every day. Makes it kind of tough on
sensitive humans, Canadian geese or earthworms.

Michael