Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM
George

Default Suggestions for bayesian network software

I'm looking for suggestions on good bayesian network software that
runs on debian. A search on the standard repos was fruitless. I would
prefer free software, but I'm also willing to try any good solution,
even if it is through Wine.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 13:31:54 +0300, George wrote:

> I'm looking for suggestions on good bayesian network software that runs
> on debian. A search on the standard repos was fruitless. I would prefer
> free software, but I'm also willing to try any good solution, even if it
> is through Wine.

Aside spamassassin bayes filter I'm totally out of this ;-P

But as always, Wikipedia may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_network#Software_resources

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-11-2011, 06:39 PM
George

On 4/11/11, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 13:31:54 +0300, George wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for suggestions on good bayesian network software that runs
>> on debian. A search on the standard repos was fruitless. I would prefer
>> free software, but I'm also willing to try any good solution, even if it
>> is through Wine.
>
> Aside spamassassin bayes filter I'm totally out of this ;-P
>
> But as always, Wikipedia may help:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_network#Software_resources

That was the first place I looked, naturally. I thought something
might be missing because most of the software on that list is old
and/or does not run on linux.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Brian

On Mon 11 Apr 2011 at 13:31:54 +0300, George wrote:

> I'm looking for suggestions on good bayesian network software that
> runs on debian. A search on the standard repos was fruitless. I would
> prefer free software, but I'm also willing to try any good solution,
> even if it is through Wine.

There is python-pebl in unstable but I have a feeling it may not be what
you are looking for.

I use crm114 and its author is approachable and very knowledgeable about
such matters. There is a mailing list you could write to and which
should evoke a response even though it may not be directly concerned
with his sofware.

I went to Camaleón's link and decided Quantum Chromodynamics was
probably more understandable.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:58 PM
George

On 4/11/11, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon 11 Apr 2011 at 13:31:54 +0300, George wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for suggestions on good bayesian network software that
>> runs on debian. A search on the standard repos was fruitless. I would
>> prefer free software, but I'm also willing to try any good solution,
>> even if it is through Wine.
>
> There is python-pebl in unstable but I have a feeling it may not be what
> you are looking for.
>
> I use crm114 and its author is approachable and very knowledgeable about
> such matters. There is a mailing list you could write to and which
> should evoke a response even though it may not be directly concerned
> with his sofware.

python-pebl looks nice but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Its
use is mainly to infer network structure, while I'm more into
computing posterior probabilities.

I will have a look at crm114, although my purposes have nothing to do
with spam classifying.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:02 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 13:31 Mon 11 Apr, George (pinkisntwell@gmail.com) wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions on good bayesian network software that
> runs on debian. A search on the standard repos was fruitless. I would
> prefer free software, but I'm also willing to try any good solution,
> even if it is through Wine.

R?

http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Bayesian.html
http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/Conferences/DSC-2003/Proceedings/BottcherDethlefsen.pdf
http://www.mascherini.org/MascheriniStefaniniFrascati.pdf

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist / |
Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist | When you seek unlimited power

Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 AM
George

On 4/12/11, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
> on 13:31 Mon 11 Apr, George (pinkisntwell@gmail.com) wrote:
>> I'm looking for suggestions on good bayesian network software that
>> runs on debian. A search on the standard repos was fruitless. I would
>> prefer free software, but I'm also willing to try any good solution,
>> even if it is through Wine.
>
> R?
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Bayesian.html

Thanks for this, I'll check it out if need be. However, I found that
GeNIe <http://genie.sis.pitt.edu/> works fine under wine, so it looks
like this will be the first piece of software that I will use.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:35 AM
George

On 4/12/11, George <pinkisntwell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/12/11, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
>> on 13:31 Mon 11 Apr, George (pinkisntwell@gmail.com) wrote:
>>> I'm looking for suggestions on good bayesian network software that
>>> runs on debian. A search on the standard repos was fruitless. I would
>>> prefer free software, but I'm also willing to try any good solution,
>>> even if it is through Wine.
>>
>> R?
>>
>> http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Bayesian.html
>>

> Thanks for this, I'll check it out if need be. However, I found that
> GeNIe <http://genie.sis.pitt.edu/> works fine under wine, so it looks
> like this will be the first piece of software that I will use.

I also found that OpenBUGS <http://www.openbugs.info/w/> has a Linux
and a wine-friendly windows version, and that jags
<http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=jags>, which is a free
implementation of the BUGS language, has a debian package.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

To search through the Debian packages descriptions with aptitude, command
something like

aptitude search '~dbayes!~dspam'

(the description should contain "bayes" but not "spam").

An overview of Debian Science Statistics packages can be found here:
http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/statistics
--
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Wolodja Wentland

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 13:31 +0300, George wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions on good bayesian network software that
> runs on debian. A search on the standard repos was fruitless. I would
> prefer free software, but I'm also willing to try any good solution,
> even if it is through Wine.

It would help tremendously if you could tell us what you are actually trying
to do. I still don't know if what you are looking for a library or a
application and if you need one that models generic bayesian networks or sequences (think
HMM, CRF, ...). If you look for a library you might want to tell us which
programming language(s) you are planning to use.
--
.'`. Wolodja Wentland <babilen@gmail.com>
: :' :