Old 04-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Rolf Brudeseth

Default Missing keyspan.fw

Chris,

Maybe you could suggest the "correct" way to request the firmware be
added to the appropriate package?

Rolf

On 04/10/2011 03:11 PM, chris wrote:

Non free firmware being missing isn't a bug

On Apr 10, 2011 4:03 PM, "Rolf Brudeseth" <misc@brudeseth.name>
wrote:

> From what I can tell it looks like keyspan.fw is missing from the
Squeeze repository, so I assume that warrants a defect.

... warrants a bug.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4DA208D8.1030501@brudeseth.name

Old 04-10-2011, 09:58 PM
chris

It was a intentional decision I believe. My understanding is that all non-free binary firmware was removed from squeeze as per their foss beliefs. You can voice your opinion against it but I don't think it will change the tide. Did you grab the firmware for it from the web yet/

Old 04-11-2011, 04:31 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <BANLkTingT-Wi8DenPtCvnYy+wSMuyWOYKw@mail.gmail.com>, chris wrote:
>It was a intentional decision I believe. My understanding is that all
>non-free binary firmware was removed from squeeze as per their foss beliefs.

Most, if not all, of the firmware that was removed from main is available from
non-free.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 04-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Greg Madden

On Sunday 10 April 2011 08:31:09 pm Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <BANLkTingT-Wi8DenPtCvnYy+wSMuyWOYKw@mail.gmail.com>, chris wrote:
> >It was a intentional decision I believe. My understanding is that all
> >non-free binary firmware was removed from squeeze as per their foss
> > beliefs.
>
> Most, if not all, of the firmware that was removed from main is available
> from non-free.

I think that might be the issue, in this case, the keyspan usa19qw.fw, among
others, is missing in action, I have the firmware-linux-xx packages installed and
don't see it. Brief package searches don't reveal it.

Reportbug has an option for wish list item against a Debian package. Not sure if
the keyspan stuff is free enough to figure out what package to file the wish list
on.
--
Peace,

Greg

Old 04-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-04-11 07:01 +0200, Greg Madden wrote:

> On Sunday 10 April 2011 08:31:09 pm Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> In <BANLkTingT-Wi8DenPtCvnYy+wSMuyWOYKw@mail.gmail.com>, chris wrote:
>> >It was a intentional decision I believe. My understanding is that all
>> >non-free binary firmware was removed from squeeze as per their foss
>> > beliefs.
>>
>> Most, if not all, of the firmware that was removed from main is available
>> from non-free.
>
> I think that might be the issue, in this case, the keyspan usa19qw.fw, among
> others, is missing in action, I have the firmware-linux-xx packages installed and
> don't see it. Brief package searches don't reveal it.

It seems to me that Debian cannot distribute this specific firmware,
unfortunately.

> Reportbug has an option for wish list item against a Debian package. Not sure if
> the keyspan stuff is free enough to figure out what package to file the wish list
> on.

That would be firmware-linux-nonfree, however the license is
problematic:

The firmware contained herein is

Copyright (C) 1999-2001
Keyspan, A division of InnoSys Incorporated ("Keyspan")

as an unpublished work. This notice does not imply unrestricted or
public access to the source code from which this firmware image is
derived. Except as noted below this firmware image may not be
reproduced, used, sold or transferred to any third party without
Keyspan's prior written consent. All Rights Reserved.

Permission is hereby granted for the distribution of this firmware
image as part of a Linux or other Open Source operating system kernel
in text or binary form as required.

This firmware may not be modified and may only be used with
Keyspan hardware. Distribution and/or Modification of the
keyspan.c driver which includes this firmware, in whole or in
part, requires the inclusion of this statement."

The DFSG forbid to distribute the firmware "as part of a Linux or other
Open Source operating system kernel", and there is no permission to
distribute it separately. :-(

Sven