-   -   Re (2): EeePC and Debian (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/512444-re-2-eeepc-debian.html)

04-10-2011 07:30 PM

Re (2): EeePC and Debian

Rob,

From: Rob Hurle <rob1940@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 16:27:48 +1000
> ... [press TAB ... avoid ... vga= parameter].
> ... worked, and I booted and installed Squeeze.

What adjustment did you make after <Tab>, by the way?

> First attempt was to install KDE, which did install,
> but it took up most of the disc, ...

LXDE or XFCE should give you a GUI environment in less storage.

Regards, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132. bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca

Rob Hurle 04-10-2011 10:54 PM

Re (2): EeePC and Debian

Hi Peter,

On 11 April 2011 05:30, <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Rob,
>
> From: * Rob Hurle <rob1940@gmail.com>
> Date: * Sat, 09 Apr 2011 16:27:48 +1000
>> ... [press TAB ... avoid ... vga= parameter].
>> ... worked, and I booted and installed Squeeze.
>
> What adjustment did you make after <Tab>, by the way?

I deleted the "--quiet" parameter (wanted to know what was going on)
and the "--vga=...." parameter also. It was the "vga-..." that was
causing the trouble I think.

>> First attempt was to install KDE, which did install,
>> but it took up most of the disc, ...
>
> LXDE or XFCE should give you a GUI environment in less storage.

Now running on LXDE, but I had to manually fiddle with wifi
(/etc/interfaces) and with sound (alsa stuff). The purpose of this
was to hook the EeePC up to the Hi Fi system so that I can listen to
Internet radio - the Internet connection is wifi. All now in place.
Once again, thanks to everybody who helped.

Cheers,
Rob Hurle
--
Rob Hurle