-   -   vbox to thumb drive (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/512433-vbox-thumb-drive.html)

Camaleón 04-10-2011 06:08 PM

vbox to thumb drive

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:19:01 -0400, shawn wilson wrote:

> is there a program / script to convert a vm (virtual box in this case)
> to a bootable install on a thumb drive?
>
> i know i can do it manually. hell, i can probably script it with dd,
> qemu, grub-install, fdisk (figure out how to toggle boot flag from
> command line). however, i don't really want to reinvent the wheel.

Nice question, I'm in the same boat (this is something I've got in my "to-
do" list):

***
Is it possible to convert virtual machines to physical environments?
http://superuser.com/questions/114445/is-it-possible-to-convert-virtual-machines-to-physical-environments
***

As the poster says, if the guest machine is a unix based one, there are
more chances that it works. Windows HAL is quite complicated and halts
(BSOD) at the minimum sign when it finds something it does not like.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Greg Madden 04-11-2011 04:36 AM

vbox to thumb drive

On Sunday 10 April 2011 09:19:01 am shawn wilson wrote:
> is there a program / script to convert a vm (virtual box in this case)
> to a bootable install on a thumb drive?
>
> i know i can do it manually. hell, i can probably script it with dd,
> qemu, grub-install, fdisk (figure out how to toggle boot flag from
> command line). however, i don't really want to reinvent the wheel.

I use 'remastersys' to make iso images for some of my vbox installs. It is not
part of Debians repositories but they support Debian, has a sources.list entry
to use.

I have just discovered 'UNetbootin', :

"UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu, Fedora, and
other Linux distributions" . It is in Debians repos.

Maybe put the two together.

A short cut to go from vbox to usb would be nice.

btw, systemrescuecd has a script located in the root of their iso, installs
systemrescuecd to a usb drive in one operation. I am not a coder but maybe it is
generic enough to adopt for other iso's.

--
Peace,

Greg