-   -   Problems running antiword as an xinetd service (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/512365-problems-running-antiword-xinetd-service.html)

"Todd A. Jacobs" 04-10-2011 03:23 PM

Problems running antiword as an xinetd service

I'm unable to get antiword to process standard input over a network
connection using xinetd. I've got the following in /etc/xinetd.d:

service antiword
{
disable = no
type = UNLISTED
flags += IPv4
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
user = nobody
group = nogroup
wait = no
nice = 10
env = PATH=/bin:/usr/bin ANTIWORDHOME=/usr/share/antiword
port = 2100
server = /usr/bin/antiword
server_args = -
log_type = FILE /tmp/antiword.log
log_on_success += PID EXIT DURATION
log_on_failure += HOST ATTEMPT
banner_success = /etc/motd
only_from = 127.0.0.0
}

However, attempting to write to the socket just gets me the MOTD:

exec 4<>/dev/tcp/127.0.0.1/2100
cat foo.doc >&4
cat <&4
exec 4>&-
exec 4<&-

Watching tcpdump, I can see that the Word document gets sent, but
antiword never reads standard input, as far as I can tell. I've also
tried putting antiword into a bash script, and calling that instead
from xinetd, but get the same results: no input from stdin.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a bug in antiword?