FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Mathieu Malaterre
 
Default Using Nokia E72 (import contacts)

Hi,

I would like to import my contact from my previous phone onto a Noka
E72 phone. I tried wammu, but Symbian is not supported. I tried
opensync (*). But again with no luck, USB interface is empty and
segfault. I tried using the bluetooth interface but syncml-ds-tool
simply segfault:

$ syncml-ds-tool -b **:**:**:**:**:** 11 --slow-sync text/x-vcard
contacts Contacts --wbxml --identifier "PC Suite"
** ERROR **: A disconnect event was received but there is no connected
transport.
aborting...

I tried sending all contacts at once from the old phone (Sony
Ericson) using built-in bluetooth, however only the first contact is
every sent to the Nokia E72.

Thanks,
--
Mathieu

(*) http://www.janerob.com/rob/e72-linux/e72-sync/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTinkmNdwHD4hm8F8d2+6pp9MuHFg-Q@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTinkmNdwHD4hm8F8d2+6pp9MuHFg-Q@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Using Nokia E72 (import contacts)

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 14:40:32 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> I would like to import my contact from my previous phone onto a Noka
> E72 phone. I tried wammu, but Symbian is not supported. I tried opensync
> (*). But again with no luck, USB interface is empty and segfault. I
> tried using the bluetooth interface but syncml-ds-tool simply segfault:
>
> $ syncml-ds-tool -b **:**:**:**:**:** 11 --slow-sync text/x-vcard
> contacts Contacts --wbxml --identifier "PC Suite" ** ERROR **: A
> disconnect event was received but there is no connected transport.
> aborting...
>
> I tried sending all contacts at once from the old phone (Sony
> Ericson) using built-in bluetooth, however only the first contact is
> every sent to the Nokia E72.

How bad ;-(

That's one of the reasons I avoid storing contacts on the phone or
phone's SD card and use the SIM. While SIM memory is very limited and
contacts cannot exceed of ~250 (at least with the 128 KiB SIM card it
provides my carrier) I still can transfer the contacts from the SIM to
any smart|mobile phone without any hitch.

JFYI, I found two articles that you may find useful to make additional
tests:

Sync Nokia E72 with Linux tools
http://www.janerob.com/rob/e72-linux/e72-sync/

OBEX guide
https://libsyncml.opensync.org/wiki/obex-guide

It is always a good idea to test these sync tools with the latest
available versions form upstream (if you don't want to install them in
your system, using a LiveCD from whatever distribution and install it
from there can be an option).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.04.10.17.49.00@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.04.10.17.49.00@gmail.com
 
Old 04-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Mathieu Malaterre
 
Default Using Nokia E72 (import contacts)

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 14:40:32 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>
>> * I would like to import my contact from my previous phone onto a Noka
>> E72 phone. I tried wammu, but Symbian is not supported. I tried opensync
>> (*). But again with no luck, USB interface is empty and segfault. I
>> tried using the bluetooth interface but syncml-ds-tool simply segfault:
>>
>> $ syncml-ds-tool -b **:**:**:**:**:** 11 --slow-sync text/x-vcard
>> contacts Contacts --wbxml --identifier "PC Suite" ** ERROR **: A
>> disconnect event was received but there is no connected transport.
>> aborting...
>>
>> * I tried sending all contacts at once from the old phone (Sony
>> Ericson) using built-in bluetooth, however only the first contact is
>> every sent to the Nokia E72.
>
> That's one of the reasons I avoid storing contacts on the phone or
> phone's SD card and use the SIM. While SIM memory is very limited and
> contacts cannot exceed of ~250 (at least with the 128 KiB SIM card it
> provides my carrier) I still can transfer the contacts from the SIM to
> any smart|mobile phone without any hitch.

I did that too. I convert the single entry 'John Doe / Mobile Phone /
Home Phone' into something like the following entries 'Doe J/Mobile
Phone' 'Doe J/Home Phone'.

> http://www.janerob.com/rob/e72-linux/e72-sync/

Yes this is the link I sent.

> https://libsyncml.opensync.org/wiki/obex-guide

thanks !

> It is always a good idea to test these sync tools with the latest
> available versions form upstream (if you don't want to install them in
> your system, using a LiveCD from whatever distribution and install it
> from there can be an option).

Indeed that fixed the issue. I quickly hack an updated package:

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/libsyncml/

This now works fine. I could sync phone entries with nice looking entry name.

Thanks,
--
Mathieu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTik3xS8hKEcAEo3kf7zXWkdp5LYfwg@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTik3xS8hKEcAEo3kf7zXWkdp5LYfwg@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Using Nokia E72 (import contacts)

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:07:48 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> * I tried sending all contacts at once from the old phone (Sony
>>> Ericson) using built-in bluetooth, however only the first contact is
>>> every sent to the Nokia E72.
>>
>> That's one of the reasons I avoid storing contacts on the phone or
>> phone's SD card and use the SIM. While SIM memory is very limited and
>> contacts cannot exceed of ~250 (at least with the 128 KiB SIM card it
>> provides my carrier) I still can transfer the contacts from the SIM to
>> any smart|mobile phone without any hitch.
>
> I did that too. I convert the single entry 'John Doe / Mobile Phone /
> Home Phone' into something like the following entries 'Doe J/Mobile
> Phone' 'Doe J/Home Phone'.

Well, I prefer to not use the phone at all and move the contacts from SIM-
to-phones instead from phone-to-files. Every manufacturer seems to be
happy with their own applications and I finally get installed 3 or 4
"phone suite tools" on my windows machine (as there are no linux app
suite, of course) just to manage the contacts. And those "phone suites"
are bloated apps that occupy each of them ~100 MiB of (wasted) space... I
would like to see in a near future some standard tools written in java
compatible with all phone brands and models in order to manage them :-}

>> http://www.janerob.com/rob/e72-linux/e72-sync/
>
> Yes this is the link I sent.

Oops, sorry! I completely missed the link you sent because it was
"hidden" (grayed-out) in my newsreader (it was placed below your
signature and got messed with it O:-) )

>> https://libsyncml.opensync.org/wiki/obex-guide
>
> thanks !
>
>> It is always a good idea to test these sync tools with the latest
>> available versions form upstream (if you don't want to install them in
>> your system, using a LiveCD from whatever distribution and install it
>> from there can be an option).
>
> Indeed that fixed the issue. I quickly hack an updated package:
>
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/libsyncml/
>
> This now works fine. I could sync phone entries with nice looking entry
> name.

Hey, good to know :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.04.10.20.41.18@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.04.10.20.41.18@gmail.com
 
Old 04-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Mathieu Malaterre
 
Default Using Nokia E72 (import contacts)

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I prefer to not use the phone at all and move the contacts from SIM-
> to-phones instead from phone-to-files. Every manufacturer seems to be
> happy with their own applications and I finally get installed 3 or 4
> "phone suite tools" on my windows machine (as there are no linux app
> suite, of course) just to manage the contacts. And those "phone suites"
> are bloated apps that occupy each of them ~100 MiB of (wasted) space... I
> would like to see in a near future some standard tools written in java
> compatible with all phone brands and models in order to manage them :-}

While searching for other solutions (on linux), I found this java app:

http://www.funambol.com/

There is an RFP

2cts
--
Mathieu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTinOJKDpWTOo5cN=wud4ityqp_L+-w@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTinOJKDpWTOo5cN=wud4ityqp_L+-w@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Using Nokia E72 (import contacts)

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 23:01:13 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> Well, I prefer to not use the phone at all and move the contacts from
>> SIM- to-phones instead from phone-to-files. Every manufacturer seems to
>> be happy with their own applications and I finally get installed 3 or 4
>> "phone suite tools" on my windows machine (as there are no linux app
>> suite, of course) just to manage the contacts. And those "phone suites"
>> are bloated apps that occupy each of them ~100 MiB of (wasted) space...
>> I would like to see in a near future some standard tools written in
>> java compatible with all phone brands and models in order to manage
>> them :-}
>
> While searching for other solutions (on linux), I found this java app:
>
> http://www.funambol.com/
>
> There is an RFP
>
> 2cts

Thanks, I alredy knew about the project.

But AFAIK, the online service (myfunambol¹) which does not require the
app client to be installed on the phone does not work with the oldest
models (i.e., Siemens A65 is not available² and I have a bunch of them
almost retired but still working and used for some of my co-workers) ;-(

¹http://my.funambol.com/c/portal/signup
²http://funambol.com/solutions/devices_siemens.php

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.04.11.15.00.56@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.04.11.15.00.56@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:10 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org